Developer creating 1:1 replica model of Manhattan with Minecraft blocks

By Justin Kahn
Mar 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. We have seen a number of impressive user made Minecraft models of real life objects and structures in the past, from a meticulous recreation of Apple's headquarters to a model of Jurassic Park from the 1993 Spielberg film, just to...

Read more
  2. I assume thats meant to be 227 square kilometers, 227 meters isn't very big in minecraft scales
  3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,266   +101

Impressive. Still, would like to see a replica of the entire globe in minecraft. I wont be completely impressed until then. lol
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

the map size in GB O.O
    The poor, poor, superserver trying to host that
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,327   +1,930

"Mitchell said it uses "orthoimagery, bathyspheric, and elevation data from the USGS EROS service, and 3D buildings from Google’s 3D Warehouse."
    With all that technology on hand he still doesn't seem to have a graphics card that supports anti aliasing. Boy it sure is jagged and blocky ;)
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,406   +458

You must be kidding right? right???

Well the last part about using real world places as in-game locations caught my eye.
  7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Google Earth.....look into it...geez
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Panoramic shots every hundred feet from the road, is not the same thing as a 3D Mapping.
  9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

I know, I know. I was just having sport at the minecraft crowd.
    cliffordcooley likes this.