Device Driver error on Sony Vaio PCG-FR130 results in BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all -
I have a 2yo Sony VAIO PCG-FR130 notebook running Windows XP SP2 that keeps getting a BSOD. Hopefully you will be able to help. : )

The error reads (in part):
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
*** STOP: 0x0000000D1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF81DAA3C

***wlanSIG.sys - Address F81DAA3C base at F81AD000, DateStamp 4074a4c4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently installed DSL in my home and was sent a 2Wire wireless adapter card to use on this machine. (My desktop PC has the ethernet connection). I have been told repeatedly that the drivers for the adapter are current. I do believe the SBC Yahoo! software is incompatible (did receive BSOD upon install) so it is not on my machine now.

I know there are no software conflicts including spyware, adware or other issues of this kind. In my many hours of frustration I decided to do a destructive restore. I tried the card again - still got BSOD. Since then I have re-installed all the patches and SP2 from Microsoft. I have also downloaded and installed the Phoenix BIOS update from the Sony website that is supposed to stablize the system when using the PCMCIA slot. Still getting BSOD.

When I use the computer WITHOUT the wireless card then there are no problems at all. Once I insert the card I start getting the BSOD. I can get an internet connection and everything seems to work fine up until the BSOD. SBC has already sent me a replacement card just in case it was faulty, but I still have the same problem with the new card.

When I restart the computer and send an error report to Microsoft it tells me the error is caused by a device driver but they do not have any specific details.

This leads me to believe the driver in question may be the PCMCIA slot that reads "Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or compatible cardbus controller" in the device manager. There are no exclamation marks or other symbols indicating a problem with the device in the Device Manager. When I have the device manager look for an updated driver it comes backs saying there isn't any others better.

I have googled this many, many times and visited many driver update sights and manufacturer sights, but I cannot find an updated driver for this specific device. HOWEVER, I did find one website that suggested that this device is only for Windows NT which makes no sense to me since I've always had XP on this machine and the PCMCIA slot was already on the notebook. ??? What does that mean??? I have never tried to use this slot before now so I have no idea if it ever worked properly.

Does anyone know if I'm on the right path and where to go next? I am just guessing that this is the problem since I can't see any others. Do you see more? Can this be fixed?

Thanks so much for your thoughts! Have a great day -
Rhonda

Thanks. I'm so frustrated now with the silly thing! So, you do think I could be on the right path? I mean, it sounds like a PCMCIA issue to you?
Rhonda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back