Device Driver in Infinite Loop message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I hope someone can help me
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with onboard graphics which is Ok as I only use this pc for business not games. My problem is that I just switched off the pc at the plug and reinstalled a writeable cd drive into this pc from another I was using it in temporarily.When I switched the pc on it now gets to the windows XP startup screen and insread of leading to the desktop it goes blank for a while and then goes to a blue screen with the message similar to "error with file ialmrnt5 device driver is in infinite loop" and I have to switch off.
I can run windows in safe mode and have downloaded and installed the latest device driver, but with still the same result. So i dont know if this was a coincidence or there is a loose connection somewhere and it corrupted Windows. I have used the Dell system check software and it says the memory and graphics are OK, so the problem is obviously with Windows.
Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to give as much info as possible to help with a solution
Any suggestions. Thanks in anticipation Phil
PS I have also tried system restore

Today my pc is running Ok which is very strange. My wife reminded me that a while ago I had a similar problem with our other pc, I did something inside it and afterwards there was no video at all. Thinking it was the graphics card I took it out and went to buy another. on returning home I realised I had got the wrong slot type, reinstalled my old video card and it all worked OK. So it seems that there must be a connection inside both PCs that are tempremental if touched. This other PC is a Compaq so its not just the make.
It cant be that a component is overheating because it would do it other times and has only happened when the pc is opened.
At least everything is working now, but it would be nice to know what was the cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back