TechSpot

Device Driver problems while running games

By prexus
Nov 27, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. System specs:
    BBATI 9800 Pro, w/ Arctic Silencer AS3 on it instead of the stock cooler, running stock settings.
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum (MS-7030)
    A64 3200+ S754, running stock.
    2xCrucial Ballistix 512MB PC3200 sticks, running stock.
    Netgear wireless LAN card,
    On board Audio,
    OCZ Powerstream 420W.

As the title states, I have problems caused by device derivers in a few games. Mainly, it happpens while playing in Madden 05 and in the beta version of DDO:Stormreach.
    When playing Madden 05, if I have the on boards sound card enabled, I get frequent errors. When it is disabled, I rarely get errors, but when I do get errors, windows classifies them as stop errors in the device driver.
    When playing the DDO beta, I get errors every few minutes of playing. Mostly they cause a crash to windows, but rarely they will cause the computer to reboot. I can't report those errors; if I try to, the computer gets stuck and I have to reboot.
    I'm going to try to run both games with an old SB Live! 5.1 I have in another computer. I just reinstalled Cat 5.11 after running Driver Cleaner Pro, following its readme step-by-step.
    I also thought the problem might be installing the GPA Siliencer incorrectly, such as misapplying the thermal paste. Is there a chance it causes the problems, due to overheating or something? If so, should I buy some arctic silver and reinstall it?
    Thanks for any help,
    Prexus
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Onboard audio tends to cause alot of problems , especially in games. The SB Live card is a world better and will give you better frame rate because the processor wont have to deal with audio anymore.
  3. prexus

prexus TS Rookie Topic Starter

While not exactly an SB Live, I did move in an older Creative audio card. It helps with Madden, as Madden is now 100% error free.
    Alas, the DDO beta version still causes errors - Stop error caused by a device driver errors. Anything I should try to solve that problem?
    Thanks,
    Prexus
  4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Beta means buggy. Did you get the latest drivers for the sound card?
  5. prexus

prexus TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't update driver to that yet. Sounds like a good idea...
    Also, it crashed again, and I got the following error message:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    does this info help/change anything?
    Thanks,
    Prexus
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.