Device Manager help needed

By Latigo
Jul 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have just acquired a two year old Dell 8400 on which the hard drive has been wiped clean and reformatted. I've installed WinXP SP2 Version 2002 and the installation seems okay.

However, I cannot connect to the internet (via cable modem, Lynksis router, and Ethernet cable). Using the cable company's internet installation disk, it gives the error message: "Your computer does not have a network adapter installed." The previous owner was an internet gamer so I know he had all of the necessary accessories installed.

In checking the Device Mgr., "Other Devices," the following all have yellow question marks: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller.

I'm assuming this is a driver problem but don't know how to fix it. Suggestions?

Although I'm a longtime computer user, technically (and terminology-wise) I'm a still pretty much a novice.
  2. almcneil

almcneil TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,554

The big yellow question mark means that there is no device driver installed or an incorrect driver installed. For each device with a yellow question mark, look up the manufacturer web site and download the device driver for it and install it.
  3. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

4. Latigo

Latigo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks much. I'm assuming I can download to this computer, copy to a flash drive, and transfer to the Dell 8400. If not, would appreciate more instructions. Otherwise, will give it a try and thanks again.
  5. almcneil

almcneil TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,554

Yes, that's exactly how you do it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.