Dexter and Game of Thrones most pirated TV shows of 2011

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Showtime’s hit series Dexter was the most pirated television show in 2011. The antics of the Miami Metro blood spatter analyst that moonlights as a vigilante serial killer narrowly edged out HBO’s Game of Thrones for the number one spot in Torrent Freak’s top 10 list of most pirated TV shows.

Dexter earned the top spot with over 3.6 million illegal downloads per single episode, just north of the 3.4 million mark for Game of Thrones. In fact, these top two shows have more illegal downloads than estimated US viewers. Dexter only had 2.2 million viewers while Game of Thrones had 3 million. The fact that both of these shows air on premium pay networks probably isn’t a coincidence. True Blood was the only other series to make the top 10 list that doesn't air on broadcast or standard cable.

game of thrones 2011 pirated tv shows dexter

The Big Bang Theory, House and How I Met Your Mother round out the top five, although each has substantially more TV viewers than illegal downloaders. TorrentFreaks comprised their list based on several sources including reports from all public BitTorrent trackers.

Despite the seemingly high number of downloaders, TV show pirating is actually on the decline thanks to alternate viewing sources like Netflix and Hulu in the US. In other countries like Australia and Europe, the demand for shows remains strong as those regions often have to wait a long time before US-based shows air locally.

Permalink to story.

At least we had the opportunity to watch Dexter on Netflix for a while... Maybe opening older episodes or seasons of these shows up for a wider audience would help? Nah, too logical, and not enough pressure to subscribe to premium cable channels that way...

In Europe, at least in smaller European countries the illegal option is about 100 times better than the legal ones. Free, no ads, 720p, on demand, day after release. Versus free, ads, maybe 720p, not on deamnd, 1 year after release (+ -).

renrew said:
Think you're not with times. I've only seen one episode of one of the shows listed.
About the same, actually. I'm still stuck in yesteryear, though in general I don't watch much Prime Time TV shows from those channels.

I pay for cable but am unable to watch it at the time it airs, I download it and watch when I have time is that illegal?

I bet by season 2-3 american horror story will be on that list its a great show. Yeah as the guest said even when I had cable I would download dexter so I could watch it at my convenience.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if places like Australia actually aired the material. For example, Australian TV hasn't shown past season 4 of Dexter, and when they do it's on at ungodly hours of the morning, however often they feel like. Try watching a season that isn't even aired in chronological order, and isn't even aired consistently every week. In prime time they insist on airing reality shows that kill brain cells. I'm not joking either, you can actually feel yourself getting dumber as you watch it.

As for Game of Thrones, well it's just too good for our sensitive Australian eyes. You see, our government thinks we are all 15 years old, and adjusts what we can watch (and play) accordingly.

Australian Government:
"You are all so lucky to live in this wonderful country, you don't have to worry about a thing. Just leave all the thinking up to us. It's better that way, you know, for your own good"

Damn right we "ilegaly" download "pirated" shows. I'm not going to watch what I want to watch at the moment YOU want me to watch it! I want to watch my shows WHEN I WANT TO!

It's a damn shame that tv networks can't stream the shows themselves, that way they can put their comercial advertisements (The "Ilegal" downloading part) they want in between and all of us would be happy watching the show whenever we want.

To be honest I kinda watch the Big Bang Theory on freeview, that costs me nothing when ever it is on. Is it still technically stealing if i were to download it so i could watch it when I wanted to?

Guest said:
I pay for cable but am unable to watch it at the time it airs, I download it and watch when I have time is that illegal?

I have wondered that myself.

Also whats the differance between that and recording them with the DVR I built? I didn't feel like paying the cable company $10/mo for a DVR, but wanted to catch my shows that come on at 1AM, or when I'm not home.

Why does it seem to be illegal to d/l a show I missed from someone else who DVR'd it but not illegal to record it on my DVR.

I did download big bang theory it takes several months for the show to air here in scaled up so called hd quality.

I've been reading the GoT books, well no, only the 1st. But I'm almost done with it. I've seen the first 2 seasons of the TV show though. The books are great of course, but I might take a different path than most others that have read books, I really don't think you gain enough reading the books to make it worth the effort. Just watch the show, the show is excellent.

Back