DI-624 as "relay"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll start by saying I know almost nothing about routers/bridges/gateways/DHCP/IP, etc. So please explain if you can in very basic terms...

My neighbor has a cable modem attached to a wireless router. He has graciously allowed me to access the internet through his wireless router via the wireless part of my laptop.

The problem is that I can only receive his signal on the front porch of my house. I would like to be able to access the internet from inside my house.

I have a DI-624 wireless router. Is there a way that I can place that router on my porch, pick up his wireless signal, and then have that signal rebroadcast into my house for my laptops to receive.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

Im almost 100% sure if you set the SSID name exactly the same on the second WAP it should work. Im also pretty sure they have to be on different channels.

The only problem I see is, if you get no signal in your house, I doubt your own router will either. Maybe by a window on the front porch?

Hi, thanks for the info. I get a signal on the front porch, I just can't get it in my house. So I want to put the router on the porch and have it catch the signal from the neighbor and then rebroadcast it.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to do what you want with the DI-624.

The big problem (as i see it) is the DI-624 is a "wireless router" and can't be configured to operate otherwise. It does the routing between:
  • A single wired WAN connection and
  • Multiple LAN devices. The LAN devices might be
    • Wireless devices which connect thru its Wireless Access Point function or
    • Wired devices which connect using one of the LAN ports on the back of the DI-624
I don't believe the di-624 can be configured to work otherwsie (i.e. as a bridge or relay as you desire)

Correct; A router only runs in one mode, while an Access Point will run in several modes,
including Bridge Mode.

I'll start by saying I know almost nothing about routers/bridges/gateways/DHCP/IP, etc. So please explain if you can in very basic terms...

My neighbor has a cable modem attached to a wireless router. He has graciously allowed me to access the internet through his wireless router via the wireless part of my laptop.

The problem is that I can only receive his signal on the front porch of my house. I would like to be able to access the internet from inside my house.

I have a DI-624 wireless router. Is there a way that I can place that router on my porch, pick up his wireless signal, and then have that signal rebroadcast into my house for my laptops to receive.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

You need a wireless client bridge that can work off the next door wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back