Diablo II released over 15 years ago gets a new patch, how cool is that?

Julio Franco

Staff member

Diablo II just got its first patch since 2011 (October 27, to be exact). It’s not a content patch, but it helps ensure that the game can run on current platforms. How cool is that?

Here’s Blizzard on Diablo II’s 1.14a patch:

This update focuses on system glitches introduced by modern operating systems. In related news, you can finally retire those old Mac PowerPCs. Included with the update is a shiny new installer for OSX.

We’ve also begun working to improve our cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. There’s still work to be done, but we’re making improvements every day.

There is still a large Diablo II community around the world, and we thank you for continuing to play and slay with us. This journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there. See you in Sanctuary, adventurers.

Good to see games continuing to get the support they deserve, not just from players but from developers, too.

Now for some nostalgia, hear Diablo's Tristam soundtrack once again...

Image credit: TantrisOST. This post was originally posted in Kotaku, republished with permission.

Permalink to story.

Are you kidding me?!

People have been begging them for a higher resolution patch on for the game since forever because they actively blocked the other HD workarounds.
Instead of doing that they just update it to open on win10 or whatever?!

Unless of course this patch does include the option to pick something more than 800x600 or whatever the game was set at.

Are you kidding me?!

People have been begging them for a higher resolution patch on for the game since forever because they actively blocked the other HD workarounds.

Unless of course this patch does include the option to pick something more than 800x600 or whatever the game was set at.
Compatibility is generally a much smaller thing to do than to retexture the whole game and regression test for a higher scale. You don't know what they have baked into the game. It might not be so simple.

Are you kidding me?!

Compatibility is generally a much smaller thing to do than to retexture the whole game and regression test for a higher scale. You don't know what they have baked into the game. It might not be so simple.
Especially on game as old as DII. anything hardcover for certain resolutions would need more than a flip of a switch to make the game work right. Lots of stuff from that Era needs extensive work just to do widescreen rez, not to mention any texture upgrades.

Figured they'd have to, they still sell these at Walmart. lmao Was a good game, so good its still being sold so many years later. Hell, maybe its worth playing again for the nostalgia. (Concerning my previous post, I was referring to the new Diablo. I played the second one... TRIED the third one)

I still have the game + expansion in their original retail boxes. It would be cool to see the game work on more modern platforms. However, it would look horrible on our modern widescreens, unless they devoted resources to making the game resolutions higher.

Diablo 2 has had widescreen patches for ages (Google "D2Multires"). Yes, it makes some stuff relatively smaller, but given you'll be playing up close with a keyb + mouse, it looks & plays great. And if that's too small, then drop down to 720p.

And I agree with "Darth Shiv" - Diablo 3 was not a "better" Diablo 2...

Any serious D2 playa could try PoE and get that nostalgic feeling when playing, in a modern format.

Diablo 2 has had widescreen patches for ages (Google "D2Multires"). Yes, it makes some stuff relatively smaller, but given you'll be playing up close with a keyb + mouse, it looks & plays great. And if that's too small, then drop down to 720p.

And I agree with "Darth Shiv" - Diablo 3 was not a "better" Diablo 2...
and you cant play on "legal" battlenet :/ only open battlenet, where u can cheat.

Any serious D2 playa could try PoE and get that nostalgic feeling when playing, in a modern format.

I tried it and didn't really like it, just could not feel that same responsive arcade-ey D2 feel.

I had lots of issues with the d2multires thing and it think it only supports older versions of the game, My point was that if someone else could write the D2multires workaround why cant blizz easily just do the same thing with a patch?
It did not look anything like doom 1 at 320x240 it actually looked pretty damn good.

Game is installed, but no options and still not widescreen resolution. so, nothing changed, but the gfx card options were deleted totally.

Back