Diagnose a BSOD.. typically occuring AFTER gaming

Dlovinge

Hi there. I've been having somewhat frequent BSODs with various error messages. This is occuring *after*, not during, gaming sessions. The info attached is from playing Civ5 for a few hours, quitting, leaving the room, and seeing the BSOD. The message was "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH." Just now I had another from playing Diablo 3, minimizing, and a couple minutes later crashing (no .dmp file, "dumping physical memory to disk" stuck at 95 for 30+ minutes). The error was "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL."

Another problem occured after this last one. After booting to desktop, the computer immediately crashed to a blue screen. I didn't get a chance to see this message; the computer shut down. It then attempted to power on a few seconds later, and then shut down. It continued to power cycle like this until I flipped the power in the back. Nothing shows on the monitor. It's done this before too, though it occured again after playing a game last time. I believe it showed "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL."

Now on to some other notes:
  • I never crash *during* a game, just after.
  • The GPU (780Ti) is a few months new. I didn't really see BSODs before it, but it's taken a few months to get this frequent.
  • All other hardware is only just over a year old.
  • The PSU is a Corsair 850W. Not a cheap one and plenty of power for the new card.
  • I uninstalled/reinstalled graphics drivers. Maybe I didn't properly fully uninstall them? (I didn't use a third party program to uninstall)
  • Temps are fine. CPU and GPU are not overheating to my knowledge.
  • I ran windows mem diagnostic and Memtest86 (8 passes). Everything is clean.
  • I've made sure everything is seated properly on the MOBO. Dust has been cleaned regularly.
  • I'm not sure why .dmps aren't being created properly. I did have the page file set to "system controlled" on both drives, auto restart off, and set to make a full memory dump. It either freezes on the BSOD or powers off. Just now, as per the guide, I changed the main drive to 1.5x RAM. Hopefully that will help
I think that's it. Attached is my system info and the only minidump I have. If you need any other info just ask. Thanks!

Attachments

• PC info.zip
    293.1 KB · Views: 5
"I never crash *during* a game, just after"... Over-heated?
"I changed the main drive to 1.5x RAM. Hopefully that will help"..
. SSD?

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain it's not everheating, as I monitor GPU and CPU temps regularly and I've never seen them above dangerous levels. Plus, it crashes after gaming, when it's not at load anymore and after it's cooled down.

Yes, I have an SSD, which is why it took me this long to set the proper page file size... It's always been on the other HDD, but it seems that to properly create .dmp files it needs to be on the C drive.

In other news, I've updated my BIOS, so we'll see if that helps.

It may be an SSD issue afterall, so if the bios update doesn't help... Is the SSD on a STAT3 port configured AHCI?

SATAIII? I believe so. SATAIII is 6Gb/s, which is what it's running on. It's set to AHCI in the BIOS. So that's a yes. Do you know of a good diagnostic tool to check a SSD? I don't think windows disk check will do anything.

You're right, the Windows disk check is not good for SSD's. Check your SSD manufacturers website for SSD check software. Are you running Windows 7 or 8?

Running windows 7, and the toolkit that comes with it says everything is in working order. I'm not sure if that means anything. Do some of the symptoms make it seem like a drive issue? And btw, there should be more detailed info in the zip attached if it would be of any help, including a minidump.

Edit: firmware is up to date too on the SSD.

A Peer to Peer Tunneling Protocol driver is flagged and Ntoskrnl.exe boot drive issue is flagged in the minidump. You have Windows 7 Pro, a Gigabyte AMD CPU motherboard. Can you do a fresh Windows install to rule out a program or errant driver causing this issue? If you still have the problem, you'll know that it is hardware caused

Reinstalling windows is a last resort for me. If I exhaust the possible fixes and the problem persists I'll have to try that. As for the tunneling protocol, I suppose it could be Utorrent or Cisco connect. I use the latter for accesing off campus, but I'll uninstall it. In my minidump I didn't see Ntoskrnl.exe, but I did see ntkrnlmp.exe, which might be a driver/mobo issue. Maybe updating the BIOS will fix that. I have also updated video drivers. Are there any other drivers you would recommend updating? I'm not sure what Intel drivers I should update if any.

Device manager seems fine. I use ESET for security, which seems to be well rated, but if the problem persists I can try uninstalling it for MSE. I've been using CC cleaner for temp files, etc. The good news is I haven't had any BSODs after updating the BIOS a couple days ago, but that doesn't mean much. We'll see.. Thanks for the advice too.

Back