Diagnosing BSOD problems

SpinelesS

Lately I have been experiencing a lot of BSOD, especially If I do anything other than browse the web (something as simple as playing candy crush for a little while will cause a BSOD)
Often when the computer reboots the monitor wont turn on until I turn the power off for a few minutes.

Other than using:
sfc.exe /scannow
and:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

I don't really know much about how to go about diagnosing and fixing a problem so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:

Windows 8.1 Pro
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Power supply: CodeGen 625W ATX Dual - 12 V
CPU (processor): AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor 3.00 Ghz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.50 GB Usable) Two Kingston 99U5458-002.A00LF 2GB
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4250
Sound card (if any): AMD High Definition Audio Device

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    83 KB · Views: 4
I would start by checking the hard drive. Go to the C drive and right-click. Select Properties, tools, check now. Set a disk check on the next start up

I would start by checking the hard drive. Go to the C drive and right-click. Select Properties, tools, check now. Set a disk check on the next start up

Selected check now and it checked the disk then and there. Windows Successfully scanned the Drive. No Errors were found.

Scanned with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner and Hitman pro. used CCleaner to remove temp files etc. Was hoping the minidump files I was told to upload in the FAQ would help point to a problem...

I would suggest running the completely free and safe Memtest on your RAM. Bad memory can cause all kinds of issues.

It takes a long time to run. Most people start it before going to bed and check it the next morning.

1, Go to this link: http://www.memtest.org/
2. Download the latest ISO version in the Zip format.
3. Open it and save it to your desktop.
4. Burn it to a blank CD
5. Set your CD/DVD drive as First Bootable in your BIOS
6. Load disk and reboot.
7. It will take over. Again, let it run a long time with a minimum of 7 Passes. I prefer at least 10 though.

*** If you get even one error you have bad memory. If this came as a set Kingston will require you to return then back as a repair for replacement even if one stick is good.

*** In addition see if there is any dust built-up in your system. Heat beyond the recommended specs will shut down a system fast.

Last edited:
Haven't had a single BSOD since I first Asked for help...

I think I fixed the problem when I checked what type of RAM I had (one of the clips on the side wasn't completely locked in place)

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but is it possible that was causing my BSOD?

I think I fixed the problem when I checked what type of RAM I had (one of the clips on the side wasn't completely locked in place)

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but is it possible that was causing my BSOD?

Yes, very much so. The RAM has to be firmly seated and seeing that one of the clips was not completely locked in place tells us the RAM wasn't either.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Back