TechSpot

Dial-up problems

By Maurice
Feb 17, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yup, more glitchs I'm afraid, after getting me on-line, the dial-up banner continues to say "unable to make connection" off of my present screen,[out of sight] leaving me unable to send email, or move to another site, there being nothing in the tray to bring the banner forward.
    The only way I can do it, is by pulling down the existing windows to find the dial-up banner,& clicking on "connect", in doing so, I have sometimes managed to lose complete emails, & had to write them again.
    And, yes, I have "connect automatically" ticked, but it disappears spasmodically, & leaves me stranded as above. I have been to properties, but all seems OK. [I use Outlook Express.]
    Thanks.
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I'm not sure of a simple solution to fix your internet connection problem, but one thing you might try doing is every once in a while when typing long emails or something hit CTRL-A, then CTRL-C. That will copy all of your written information so far, and if something does mess up you will just be able to hit CTRL-V and paste it back once you get back online.
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Maurice if you press Alt+Tab it will bring forward windows that are underneath one each time it is pressed. Also you can set Outlook to 'Save a copy of your sent emails ' in Tools>Options>Send
    Sorry I can't help with you Dial-up woes , but it sounds like a call to your Isp tech dept.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Are you the only user of that telephone line, or do you perhaps share with a neighbour?
    Are the BT-Exchanges on your island up-to-date or are they pre-historic?
    Do you get disconnected/interrupted when making phonecalls?

Don't know which part of the Isle you live, but look here
    http://www.iwweb.co.uk/
    and here
    http://www.wightindex.com/broadband.asp

Maybe time to consider broadband?
  5. Maurice

Maurice Banned Topic Starter Posts: 653

realblackstuff, seems you know a little about the Island, [have you been here from Dublin?] I say a little, because it is not prehistoric as regards BT Exchanges, long gone are the little local exchanges, when we moved over from Portsmouth my birthplace, 30 years ago there WAS a tiny exchange ina private house in the next village to mine [Rookley] where they said an old dear sat knitting between calls, sat in front of a "plug-in" switchboard, & it's rumoured that she listened into calls!
    No, it's just an extension of the mainland these days, things like murders, rapes,drugs etc.
    As regard broadband, it is patchy, OK in Newport & Ryde, but hardly anywhere else, especially where I am in the south, & no, I don't share a line.

Liquidlen, I'll try the Alt+Tab, thanks, also, the "save sent emails". Calling my ISP for help is pretty hopeless, almost as bad as Microsoft, they very rarely reply.
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.