TechSpot

Did 8 steps on new machine, requesting log help

By mtbtrigger
Nov 17, 2008
  1. After losing my desktop to the brastk.exe (doing reinstall windows on it as we speak), I thought it would be best to run through all the steps and post the logs to make sure I do not have anything on my laptop.

Not sure if it is a symptom of anything, but my PC seems to startup slow and I am wondering if there is anything I can do with HJT to increase the bootspeed/system speed.

Thanks in advance

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

You can start by running the Norton Removal Tool (seeming Norton Antivirus is still there)

You may want to have a look at Startup Control Panel to disable any unwanted startup shortcuts
    And running CCleaner again wouldn't hurt

But one of the easiest options would be to update to SP3 (its been out for a while now ;) )

3. mtbtrigger

mtbtrigger TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Ran the norton tool, Disabled some of the startup programs, and ran CCleaner.

All I did was run the cleaner part, should I do anything with the registry function of CCleaner. If not, what exactly is this for?

4. matortott

matortott TS Rookie

hmm... well norton seems to slow most systems down anyway.. If I were you, I would use spybot S&D, AVG Free (for virus) and Advanced Windows care by iobit.

They are all freeware and are very trustworthy.

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Those tools won't speed up the computer's responsiveness
    These things can help:
    CheckDisk
    Memtest
    DriveDiagnostics

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.