Did a Windows Update Cause a BCCode Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm working for my Dad this summer during the mornings and his computer recently blue screened. He had just downloaded the most recent update for XP Office Small Business 2007. His computer proceeded to blue-screen, so he called me (I'm kind of the "tech guy" around the house, mainly because I use Firefox).

Anyway, I came in and tried to do my thing; I ran the onboard diagnostics and it came up with some errors regarding the hard drive--as I recall, it immediately failed the confidence test. I was worried it might be an HD failure, but the fact that the computer was working fine right up until that update was installed made me think it was software.

Well, I got her up and working by getting it to run CHKDSK. It corrected two things and the comp booted normally. I ran CCleaner and Easycleaner in an effort to make sure that it wasn't something in the registry screwing up the install. Comp worked fine.

I came in this morning and I see CHKDSK is running on his computer again. It froze at 6% on step two. I tried restarting but the computer won't even let me boot into safe mode now and I've tried booting off the install CD to no avail (friggin' thing won't detect the CD!). This was the error code my Dad had this morning:

BCCode: 77 BCP1: 00000001 BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: AAE96C34
OSVer: 5_1_2600
SP: 3_0
Product: 256_1

Any help would be appreciated. He's working on a real bear of a case right now and can't afford to have something like this happen.

What is the brand, model, and configuration of the computer being used? Looks like he is using Windows XPH Service Pack 3?
Have you tried uninstalling the update? Are you using Value RAM or other inexpensive RAM in unmatched sets?
I doubt that a CHKDSK would freeze from an installed update. But it could be bad memory module or bad video graphics.
First, I would remove one memory module, and test with the other. Then change memory modules, and try again. If available, try exchanging memory with a computer working well.
Does it run OK in <SAFE MODE> where you cold boot, then depress the <F8> key repeatedly until it boots to Safe Mode?
Download and run the free MemTest86, and run it for four hours or seven passes, on each memory module. that will maybe isolate the problem, or rule out one possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back