Did I kill my router or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry the grammatical mistakes but the English language is not my first language. I'm from Hungary from Europe. The next happened: I could reach my ST Lab router from my web browser with the 192.168.1.1 ip number. I did a lot of foolish settings so I tried restart the setup with defaults settings.That is the reason why I held down router Reset button for 5 sec. After this I could reach once more the router with 192.168.1.1 but unexpectedly it terminated and "The page can not acces" page appeared. How can I fix my router? Is there any solvation to refresh the router's firmware?

Well, try resetting it again.. Also. Check the cables between your router and the computer.

And since it looks like you don't really know what you are doing.. Try following the set up manual to the letter so you actually have an idea what you are doing..

I've already done Reset but nothing has changed. Something I know of routers. I have an other one wich works properly. The St Lab router is owned by one of my mate and I tried help for him, but his ISP gives DHCP not fix IP address. Therefor I couldn't make it at first time and I tried begin with defaults settings but no more come up with the number of 192.168.1.1.
Despite of the user manul said use the 192.168.1.1.

You should probably call you service provider tech support to help you. I did the same think a while back and called support and it was an easy fix. Just had to enter the right numbers iin the right place. Learned not to hit the reset button, just unplug it for a few seconds, and plug it back in, if I had a problem.

Go to a command prompt (START, RUN, cmd.exe)
and type the following...

ipconfig /release

now type

ipconfig /renew

This should renew your connection to your router and allow you to reconfigure it. It is usually impossible to screw up a router permanently by just playing around with the settings as log as you don't mess around during a firmware upgrade everything should reset to factory specs when you reset. Try holding the reset button in for 30 seconds.

That was wrote by the router manufacturer to help me:

"Dear Sir:
The default settings of the Broadband Router that is you can access
the router's management interface, enter the IP address of the router in
your Web browser http://192.168.1.1, then login the router system with no
password.

To restore the router to default status, please follow these instructions
below:
1. The first, Turn the power to the Broadband Router OFF.
2. And then, take one straight-through cable one WAN port and any LAN port
of Broadband Router,turn the power to the Broadband Router ON and wait
around 30 seconds, all setting values will be cleared and back to factory
default value.
3. Remove the straight-through twisted pair cable and the router will
restore default settings.

There is a user manual for this Broadband Router in this mail. And please
upgrade your router's firmware to the latest version V1.04."

I did all of these but nothing has changed. Conclusion: If you can't reach your roter with default ip number it means it is out of order once at all. Because it's easier change back for a good one than mend it.

Thanks everybody

check the network card
your pc may have changed the cards address
when I was running windows 98SE it would boot up and change address all by itself router could not be found untill I set the network card to static IP
follow OS instructions on this
there maybe a sticky here on it check main forum pages

I have had a similar problem to yours. If you are running a firewall make sure it isn't blocking access to 192.168.1.1 . You can check by turning it off and then trying to reach the router.

Try a ping test to the router. Go to your command prompt and enter: ping 192.168.1.1

If the router is working OK you will receive response stats relating to how long it took to receive and respond to the ping. If you do not get a response something is blocking your computer from reaching your router.

Yahooooooooooo! - or in Hungarian - Juhééééé! Now it's working properly. At first reading I misunderstood the manufacturer's letter. He is right. The Reset button is not everything to try restore the defaults settings. The solution is the next as the manufacturer know how:

1. The first, Turn the power to the Broadband Router OFF.
2. And then, take one straight-through cable one WAN port and any LAN port
of Broadband Router,turn the power to the Broadband Router ON and wait
around 30 seconds, all setting values will be cleared and back to factory
default value.
3. Remove the straight-through twisted pair cable and the router will
restore default settings.

Merry Christmas - Boldog Karácsonyt!

Na csá!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back