Did you finish the book? Amazon's new payment system will test the definition of 'page-turner'

dkpope

Staff

amazon kindle royalties publishing kindle unlimited kindle lending library

The old publishing cliché that it doesn't matter how many people read a book, it matters how many people buy a book is about to be thrown out - at least at Amazon. In a recent announcement the company says that beginning July 1 they will switch from paying some authors based on how many downloads their book has, to paying per pages read.

This change overturns the standard publishing model and is a step into the unknown for Amazon and authors alike. For authors, many of them self-published, the impact is limited to those using Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owners' Lending Library, and they have the choice of opting out.

The burning question: How will Amazon determine what a page read means? They've developed the Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC) to streamline the process. KENPC is meant to work while taking into account different genres and font settings. No, an author can't widen margins or increase the font size and "create" more pages to read. Non-text elements on the page, like graphs or photos, will count toward the KENPC.

If a reader stops to think about this change, some questions will arise. Does this encourage writing that lives and dies on the cliffhanger or tease? What will the difference in pay be when the switch happens? In our heyday of short attention spans, should we even be surprised by this development?

The likely answer is that this won't impact the day-to-day experience of consumers much... but it will inform writers and publishers that the old way of doing things is ready to be challenged.

Image credit: SGM / Shutterstock.com

Permalink to story.

My wife who is an author has some of her books distributed by Amazon and I don't think she's aware of this, I'll have to bring it to her attention, it'll definitely affect her bottom line.

So authors will no longer be paid for the compilation of their work, and instead be paid for a fraction of their efforts? That doesn't sound right. I guess if I were to draw analogies would it be like purchasing a song from a CD, or a chapter from a book?

My wife who is an author has some of her books distributed by Amazon and I don't think she's aware of this, I'll have to bring it to her attention, it'll definitely affect her bottom line.
I'd be interested to hear what your wife thinks about the change. As a reader, it seems odd (I know I don't always read every page in a book) but I'd be curious to know what an author thinks.

So authors will no longer be paid for the compilation of their work, and instead be paid for a fraction of their efforts? That doesn't sound right. I guess if I were to draw analogies would it be like purchasing a song from a CD, or a chapter from a book?

I'm with you! It doesn't sound right to me at all. I will be watching this topic to see how it unfolds after July 1.

This seems subjective and tedious to me. There must be money to be saved by Amazon but I can't see how. Is Amazon indirectly rewarding wordiness over brevity?

I'd be interested to hear what your wife thinks about the change. As a reader, it seems odd (I know I don't always read every page in a book) but I'd be curious to know what an author thinks.
She's not happy about it, neither am I but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the books that already being distributed by Amazon, at least she gets some money.

This seems subjective and tedious to me. There must be money to be saved by Amazon but I can't see how. Is Amazon indirectly rewarding wordiness over brevity?

Subjective is a good word to use. And yes, that's what it seems like to me. More words to tease out a storyline over more pages? Not sure about that.

Back