Didnt receive a factory OS disc with machine purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrashdnBurnt

purchased a Sony machine preinstalled with XP MCE'05 16/18 months ago and now I want to reformat. How do I acquire the needed software?

Being you guys/gals are the best, this is my first place to ask.

Do manufacturers usually supply a OS disc with their products? I have heard some do. Just wondering if I got left out or short changed even.

Will I have to purchase this software again? I would think not, being I have already purchased it. It should remain available to me the rest of my life (or atleast 75yrs) and I should have the right to maintain it and keep it running smoothly by reformating.

Help
Where do I start?

Do you have on your start menu under programs an entry called 'recovery tool'.

If so, run it and create your recovery discs.

you should have an OEM recovery cd from Sony.

reformatting is a problem -- you loose the hardware specific drivers.
sometimes you can go to the OEM site and download each model specific driver
and save them for later use.

Personally, it makes me mad as HECK that a retail cd is not include, but then
the OEM would have to ship another cd with those drivers.

KrashdnBurnt said:
purchased a Sony machine preinstalled with XP MCE'05 16/18 months ago and now I want to reformat. How do I acquire the needed software?

Being you guys/gals are the best, this is my first place to ask.

Do manufacturers usually supply a OS disc with their products? I have heard some do. Just wondering if I got left out or short changed even.

Will I have to purchase this software again? I would think not, being I have already purchased it. It should remain available to me the rest of my life (or atleast 75yrs) and I should have the right to maintain it and keep it running smoothly by reformating.

Help
Where do I start?

Most OEMs no longer ship CDs with there systems. If you want CDs for your OS and programs you purchased, they charge you approx. $20 per CD.

In order to re-install your XP MCE, all you need is any CD. You have a Microsoft Product Key on a sticker on the side of your chassis that you enter during installation and allows you one valid copy on your system. Just find a computer store that will loan you or give a copy of XP MCE installation CD. It's the Product Key that matters. The CD alone is worthless.

CCT
I do not have the recovery tool.
But under Accessories, I have "files and settings tranfer wizard". The opening window states it's "for transfering files and settings from your old computer to your new computer". pretty sure it's not what I'm looking for.

jobeard
Ive looked on Sonys site a few months ago and if I remember correctly, I have to purchase the recovery discs. I'm gonna check again

The Files & Settings Transfer Wizard is for transferring your user account info and documents from one computer to another or to save it and then restore it after a reformat/re-installation.

It hasn't been asked because I assumed you had it - there IS a recovery partition on that comp isn't there? They can't not provide that when you get no disk!

Thus, a reinstall should be possible from that.

not all vendors use the Recovery Partition concept; thank GOD! what a waste of space.

ok,
I found it the recovery wizard is located in the control panel. I guess I'll use it. Anything in particular I should be aware of or need to do?

I'd suggest you do some research. Some of those allow you to make a set of recovery cd's and others do not.

Find out and if they allow it then do it!

Also find out how to use it.

I've never used one myself so I cannot help you there.

gl

:)

KrashdnBurnt said:
after 4 days of copying pictures, I finally got around to using it yesterday. So far all is well.
Thanks all

I'm not familiar with the Sony recovery wizard. I used to work for Dell and now that I'm on my own, most of my customers have Dell or HP.

So, what have you accomplished so far? Have you restored your installation?

yep, everything is up and running again.
Just wish I could get rid of the junkware that it put back on it. The majority of it isnt in the add/remove programs list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back