Diff versions of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine asked me to look at his laptop for him. It boots, but before windows starts a lovely blue screen comes up with a fatal error message. I can get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence to reformat. But my question is....This laptop has an XP product key on it for XP pro. I have discs for XP home, XP Office, and XP Media Center. If I reformat with Home/Office/Media Center can I use the product key from that laptop for XP Pro? Or do I need to reformat with Pro. Thanks in advance.

You will need a Windows XP Professional disk. None of those will work, especially the Office disk, for one thing its not even an OS. Does your friend have any restore disks that came with the laptop? Those are the best to use since they normally include software and drivers that were originally installed when it was new.

I plan on asking him tomorrow. I just wanted to get it done, and I wasn't sure if any of the ones I had would work. Thanks.

you can get just the disk for free or little cost. no, the code will not work for any of the disks you have. and the disks that came w/ the laptop generally will NOT have an os. you might try going to a local computer shop and see if they can give you a coppy of an xp pro disk. [if they want like $100 for the disk they are trying to sell you a lisence w/ it] you can also get them online from microsoft[i think i am not shure about that 1] as long as you got the key and drivers you should be fine, just get the xp pro disk. i'll keep looking for a place to get that disk, if i find it i'll post it back here.
good luck!
:hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back