TechSpot

Difference Between 1GB or 1GB(2x512MB)

By ryker_sf
Mar 28, 2007
  1. What's the difference between:

a single 1GB DDR800 RAM card or,

1GB (2x512MB) DDR800 cards running in dual channel?

At first, I think that having 2 512 MB would run smoother, but then I want to eventually have 4GB of memory. Perhaps I should get a 1GB stick and wait until next paycheck to get another 1GB stick? Then again, money is very tight, so i'm stuck.

I think that my best bet would be 2GB (2x1GB) RAM is best, but that's only my opinion.

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Dual channel configuration allows RAM to utilize both the upper and lower sidebands of the voltage signal thereby increasing your RAM speed by about 50% over a single stick of the same size. It is always preferable to run RAM in Dual channel when possible. There are also multi-channel boards or asychronous motherboards that allow ODD counts of RAM sticks. This however, is uncommon.

In your case 2 x 1GB (for a total of 2 GB) ran in Dual channel would be fine. You won't see much of a difference in performance above 1 GB expect with a few select games.

1 person likes this.
  3. ryker_sf

ryker_sf TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tyvm

Exactly, I am very into gaming. I own Battlefield 2, 2142, WoW, Oblivion, and a slew of others. I'll probably go with 2GB(2x1GB)

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

You might see a little more improvement with those games with 4gb. 2 x 2gb then.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

What you're describing is the functioning of DDR Ram, you could have a system with a single channel DDR/DDR-II memory controller & it would still use the rising & lowering edge of each clock to transfer data.

A dual channel memory configuration is an easy way to double the system's memory bandwidth by having pairs of memory modules accessed at the same time in a parallel manner rather then in a "serial" manner.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.