Difference between H: Drive and C: Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just recently built me my first computer a few days ago, I'm using Microsoft Windows XP as my OS. When I go to My computer, I'm used to seeing the Local Disc (C: ) for my hard drive but on my computer it is Local Disc (H: ) is there something wrong with this. My computer works fine I was just wondering if I should be concerned?

Right-click My Computer and go to Manage->Disk Management. There you can change the drive letter. Assuming of course you have only one hard drive.

Edit: Never mind! It won't work anyways. Read Mictlantecuhtli's post below.

Yes, All I have is one hard drive. How did this happen, could I have done something different. I do have a Koutech 2.0 Card Reader with about 5 different slots for diffent types of SD cards. could my computer be counting all of those 5 slots as different drivers therefore pushing my hard drive down to the letter H.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Yes, your card reader is responsible for your present situation regarding your hard drive letter.

The only way I know of changing it, is to uninstall your card reader and format and reinstall Windows. However, if everything is working ok, you might not want to do this.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, everything is working fine and I was just wondering if this was normal or not or if I should be concerned because all computers I've ever used had the letter C: assigned to there hard drive and mine was letter H: but I'll leave it just like it is as long as this doesn't cause any problems in the long run.
Thanks for all the help guys.

No worries mate.

The next time you need to format and reinstall, just remember to disconnect the card reader first.

Regards Howard :)

it's just normal buddy... but if you really want to make it c:. Try removing/uninstall first your card reader then reformat your drive.. then it should now be C: as your normal drive...

having the OS on another letter other than C: is ok, i have my laptop set up like that since its dual booted with vista (xp installed second).

Although do check when you are installing programs that they are pointing their installers to your current windows drive, and not defaulting to C: (as you'd find some poorly writen ones are)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back