TechSpot

Difference between HDTV and HD Ready TV??

By woodgreen
Dec 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This isn't a computer question. What is the meant by the term" HD ready"
    when it applies to television?
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

HDTV means that the TV has a HD tuner built into it. meaning you just need to hook up and antenna (a very good one) and you can start getting HD channels. All new TV's will have this feature. Older models might not, and those people have a HD Ready, but they have to buy a HD tuner seperately to get the channels.

If you are going to be using cable or satellite to get HDTV, then you don't have too much to worry about. The HDTV is for people wanting to get their HD signals free over the air.
    I've not had good success with this, and the best antenna you can get would be an attic or roof antenna.

Best of luck, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I'm afraid you have it backwards poertner.

Hd ready = can display hd but lacks a tuner for hd.

Hdtv = can display hd and has a hd tuner.

Quotes from:
    http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_hdtv.html
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Thanks for correcting me. I will update my post so people reading in sequence don't get confused.
    I thought for sure it was the other way around, hehe :blush:
  5. woodgreen

woodgreen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

Thank You for reply

Thank You Poertner 1274- for the first reply..
    Thank You-vnf4ultra- :) for the second reply-with the informative details and the "Crutchfield Advisor".. Very interesting & informative. You were a big help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.