TechSpot

Difference between RDRAM and DDRAM

By geno2k3
Sep 15, 2007
  1. I have 1gb of RDRAM clocked at 400mhz dual channel. What is the difference between this and DDR? Is RDRAM good for gaming?

2. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

* RDRAM is a narrow, high speed serial connection.
    * SDRAM/DDR is a wider, lower speed parallel connection. (DDR is simply SDRAM that squeezes out two actions per clock cycle; something RDRAM already does. I'll use the term "SDRAM" when what I'm saying applies to both current SDRAM and DDR, and "DDR" when it applies only to that).

And rdram is only good for gaming purposes

3. geno2k3

geno2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

no offense at all but you got me even more confused! lol

4. Jase123

Basically RDram is good for gaming like you asked

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

6. Jase123

well done howard lol..

7. geno2k3

geno2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

Hmm so these things are basically telling me that DDR is actualy better and provides more bandwith.

EDIT: jesus christ! ive been searching around the internet and 1 stick of ddr800 512mb rdram is 224$ @ newegg or 1gb at this unknown site for around the same price. I bought my computer for 150$ whole setup with actually 1gb of this type of ram. So one of these sticks is actualy worth more or as much as my whole system? Jeeze im glad i got a good deal.

8. Jase123

Basically yes ddr provides more bandwith, where as rdram is faster but only narrow

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.