TechSpot

Differences between Intel & AMD (episode 3 million)

By paintballproam
Jul 17, 2005
  1. what is the difference between intel and amd? i can find like a 2.2 amd for more than a 3.6 intel. i know this sounds dumb but i wont learn if i dont ask.

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

AMD chips do more work per clock cycle than Intel chips. So a 2.2ghz AMD is comparable to a 3.0-3.8 Intel depending on the version of CPU.
    The main differences though is AMD are better at gaming and Intel is better an apps and business programs. And for the most part AMD chips and motherboards costs alot less than Intel.

3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

also notable is the thermal differences. the pentium 4's and pentium d's create much more heat than thier amd counterparts, thus making them poor candidates for overclocking and forcing the user to take extra steps to ensure proper cooling. amd chips, be comparison, generally generate (much) less heat and have unlocked multipliers, making them great for overclockers.

4. paintballproam

paintballproam TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

thanks guys

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.