different: Boot Disk Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman318

ok so i just purchased a bunch of parts from newegg, had a friend come over and help build my new computer. Everything is turning on properly and i go into BIOS to make sure that all of my parts are being reconized (yes they were).
I'm currently trying to install Windows XP Media Center and i put in the disk and it comes up with an error-
Boot disk failure
-----------------
i know this has come up a lot but i find that mine is a little different, its not because im using a drive with things alreadying on it or trying to reinstall anything. This is my first computer ive put together and im a little bad at this. Ive been reading a lot about this error over the internet and i havent figured out the right solution. I tried my boot to cd/hdd/floppy and other combinations. A friend told me i need to get 6 floppy disks from microsoft for something, but the conflict here is that i dont have a floppy drive. All my cables are connected nothing is loose, i'm trying to look for a basic answer and the simplist way to resolve this issue, if the easiest way is with floppys then i can do that, but please tell me solutions to this problem in a simple but precise way.

*edit* im running a amd MSI A8N mobo, 7800gt, amd x2 3800+, 2gigs of corsair value select ram*Edit* if that helps at all

coleman

if it is the only drive and alone on the ide ribbon try removing the jumper from it. many newer IDe drives dont like being jumperd if they are alone on the IDE ribbon.

jumpers

ok ill have to check that out when i get back to the house, thanks ill give that a try, cant remember if i connected it or no :wave:

Doh!

my friend that helped me hook up my pc called be a retard, i guess my hard drive is a Sata the orange cable, sry i thought it was ide for some reason. If that changes things then plz reply.

I talked to a clan mate and he said that i need to buy 6 blank floppy disks and mirror information from this file he sent me onto the diskettes.
called-
winxpsp1_en_pro_bf
this is what happens when it starts up:
This program creates the setup boot disks
for microsoft windows XP SP1.
To create these disks, you need to provide 6 blank,
formatted, high-density disks.

Please specify the floppy drive to copy the images to:
-----------------------------------------------
earilier i said i didnt have a floppy drive in the new comp but this one im on does, do you think this might solve my situation, by creating these disks?
i also have windows XP SP1 Profesional for this microsoft boot disk program.

think this is a solution to my problem?

coleman

Ok, so if our hard drive is sata did you load the Sata drivers when the computer was booting? typically you need to press F6 during the boot process to load third party drivers. ( you should have the floppy with the sata drivers allready it comes with the Mobo.)

hey yea this is colemans friend who put his comp. together for him and no we havent installed and drivers for the hd but i did see th efloppy taht came with the mobo. Ill have to loan him a floppy drive so he can load the drivers. But I also just recently built a different comp. the hd i used was also an sata and i dident have to install and drivers for it so i thought that this was kinda wierd...

plz reply :grinthumb

Most people I know that have Nforce based mobo's have had to load the drivers to get the sata hard drives to be recognized. whether or not they have to be loaded depends ont he sata controler it seems. I know on different intel boards I have never had to load the sata drivers for the sata drive to be recognized.

Fixed It!

ok. my friend above let me have his old floppy drive, the boot diskettes i was talking about above, failed. Then i tried putting in the cd once again setting the boot sequence- Floppy to Hard Disk to Cd Rom. It worked and i found out my old sticks of memory were bad so now i went from 2gigs of ram to 1gig ='(. Oh well i fixed it, thinking about putting windows xp 64 for my new computer, most new games support xp 64 right?

coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back