Different brands of RAM together in dual channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exonimus

At the moment, I've got two 512mb RAM sticks together in dual channel. One is just plain OEM ram, while the other is kingston hyperx. This gave me problems at the start, but these dissappeared when the sticks were switched around for some reason. Anyway, my question: I'm thinking of buying two more 512mb pc3200 ddr sticks, preferably of kingston. Maybe hyperx, but maybe not. I'm wondering if having another model(/brand?) of RAM can give me additional problems? the other two are working fine now, and the two new sticks would be from the same model. Or would two more hyperx models give me better results? or would it be better to sell the ram I have, and go for either 2x1GB sticks or 4x512mb sticks, all of the same brand and model?

thanks for the feedback

~Exonimus

branding is of little consequence (other than the obvious quality issue),
but make dead sure you get exact match for the M/B you're running

dual channel doesn't mix well with single, and different speeds is a mess.

match the specs and you'll do fine

Your motherboard manual should list recommended brands,or the website.
Better not to mix though.Kingston is reliable.
I see you have 4 slots.I can't be possitive but i think 2 sticks are inserted in
Slots 1 and 3.Check your manual for installing Ram.

Remember that if the voltage requirement are higher on one stick, you could possible dmg the one that has a lower voltage recommendation.

if you had bothered to read the upgrading ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum, you would have answered your own question.

that last reply didnt add anything. The guide wouldnt have answered my question because I'm talking about an additional (so third) model of ram. I know the guide says: don't mix them, but still. I already did. And yes, my first two sticks are inserted in slot 1 and 3. But by switching, I meant switching the stick in 1 to 3 and in 3 to 1. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I think I'll go for two more hyperx models :)

generally it isn't recommended. by throwing in a third (and different) brand of ram- you're asking for issues.

Also, not all motherboards work when all 4 slots are populated. There are many horror stories about trying to run 4 sticks. you may be better off getting 2 bigger sticks and just using them alone.

tarkus is right. Some motherboards handle the increased voltage drain poorly. It is far better to have two twin sticks.
again, read the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back