Different computer memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro199

I got a Corsair Value Select 512MB 400mhz 2.5V DDR and a Kingston 512MB 400MHZ 2.6V DDR; if I put these two rams together in my 939 socket JetaWay to make dual channel, will there be any problems?

Usually not, but you might want to be aware that Corsair Value Select is NOT the high quality memory that you find in the Kingston (assuming the Kingston is NOT value ram. That Corsair can vary from module to module.
If you re using it in a gamer, or in an overclocked machine, you could have trouble... but at least you will know why.

I don't recommend it.

I had Kingston memory before, and it didn't work well with my ASUS motherboard.

Eventually, I had to toss them, and bought Corsair instead. It's been running beautifully ever since (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source). :)

We find Kingston the most consistent reliable of any memory, except the high speed gaming memory in matched sets from Crucial. In 16 years of computer service and repair, Kingston is the winner for reliability.
In gaming machines, for a combination of speed and reliability, we use Crucial's matched modules.
We have found most others, such as OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, etc., to be inconsistent in manufacture over time... using reviews to push marketing then changing the quality of the module.

Don't hate me because I don't overclock.....

I gotta weigh in on the Kingston Value RAM. Ya' stick in in and it works. No questions asked. It runs in my goofy Intel boards and judging by the product reviews on Newegg, it's usually the second set in an Intel board, after the fancy stuff gets bought and fails to post. I just bypass that intermediate step and buy the Kingston first.

The Disclaimer: Your results may vary

Although I love Kingston memory, there is a significant difference between Kingston memory and Kingston Value Ram... or anything Kingston with "Value" in the branding... generall it is slower... and modules are not consistently the same in speed.

I Solemnly Swear To;......

raybay said:
Although I love Kingston memory, there is a significant difference between Kingston memory and Kingston Value Ram... or anything Kingston with "Value" in the branding... generall it is slower... and modules are not consistently the same in speed.

These are things I promise to worry about when I decide to void my warranties and embrace an all out "my computer can beat your computer" philosophy.

The "Value Ram" seems to run at the speed it was designed to. I freely admit that there's no snob appeal involved with it's ownership.

Meanwhile, like they say in aviation; "any landing you can walk away from is a good one". Ergo, I still believe that any RAM that will post and continue to do so is a good one. So for me, ignorance is still bliss.

Should it become necessary to post a litany of memory woes, I likewise promise to rethink my position.

Value Ram will work fine in the average computer. But as Yogi Berra once said, you can observe a lot just by watching.
Value Ram memory modules vary a great deal from month to month and year to year. They are of a unique design intended to make use of "binned" chips that have not been tested. Value Ram is not thoroughly tested, so the user becomes the tester. If it fails, the user is given a replacement, usually without argument.
There are details on this second and third tier memory in Scott Muellar's excellent book, Upgrading and Repairing PC's. Also, there have been very good memory reviews which included Value Ram on the anandtech and tomshardware websites.
Value Ram has performance issues when challenged in a high performance system.
When using a desktop for routing functions, we never see any problems with ValueRam. But when used in computers/motherboards with overclocking and other high speed or high heat uses such as gaming or graphic design work, Value Ram suffers badly.
We put value ram in our customer's computers, and give them the same warranty, although the price differs. But we advise them of the performance differences.
Value Ram is not for everybody, but there are significant cost savings for those who do use it. We do not recommend value ram for any high speed activity such as gaming or Adobe Creative Suite work because the differences are usually noticable.
When you look at a bag of Value Ram, whether by the same or different manufacturer, you will see many different sizes and shapes. There is a clear lack of consistency in manufacture if you look at enough modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back