Different PC performance battery/plug

Poldian

Hi,

I have a 4-years-old Samsung laptop (i5 2d gen, 6GB ddr3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6490M) . Well, I noticed a strange behavior in certain situations: it is faster when using battery power (not plugged in to electricty), and slower when using plug. (strange, I would have expected the opposite...).

This difference can't be noticed while ordinary routine (mails, browsing, office work...), but it is clear for example when I play games. Yeah, I know a 4-yeas-old laptop is not the best machine to run games, but I'm not complaing about this in general, but only about the fact tha, for example, FIFA14 is always smooth when plaied using battery and always lags whe using electricty plug. Strange! I would have expexted the opposite, no?

Any suggestion? Any possible solution?

Thanks everybody

With "cleaned" you mean "opened and cleand from dust"? If so, I opened and cleaned two times one in february (first time in 4 years) and one in spring, both of them beacuse of BSOD, both of them seems to have "magically" resolved the BSOD problem (the first one solved the problem for only about 3 month, the second one till now). But at the second opening I found the PC already cleand, with no visible dust, thus I sayd "magically", because it didn't semmed relate, at least not at sight.

Other major issues? No, had these problems with BSOD but now seems ok, and more I can't find any link between BSOD and battery-VS-plug performance difference. I mean, can't find any lenk "at first sight", I'm not an expert so I'm here to ask suggestions...

Thanks a lot

PS: it's a Samsung series 7, 700z3a

Can you confirm actual FPS drop with utility? Does charger get hot or just moderately warm? Suspect fluctuation in charging.

See if the problem occurs with the Battery Life Extender both enabled and disabled. Be sure to fully insert connector to charger. Inspect charger and wire carefully (broken or tightly bent kink in wire could cause this). Check voltage with a good multimeter. Perhaps it runs better with battery out? Could there be fluctuation or a ground problem with the mains?

As to cleaning...since it is 4 years (or more), when will you replace thermal paste?

Reading through the notebookcheck review of that model they do mention that the power supply capacity is very close to the laptop power draw. Maybe performance is being capped so that there's sufficient power available to charge the battery?

Almost ALL laptops have TWO power profiles; one for AC and the other for Battery. These are independent and can easily be misconfigured. For AC power, we typically never cap anything and for Battery usage, we try to preserve battery life by capping CPU, video and time to sleep.

Back