Different RAID question

By boeingfixer
Mar 19, 2002
  1. Hey all,

I have set up a RAID array on my computer. I have 2 IBM 40 gig drives running in RAID 0, they are both on separate channels, IE, one is primary on ide 3 (raid channel) and one on ide 4 (raid channel), My question is, I also have another 40 gig drive that has all my windows and stuff on it as it was BEFORE I set up the other drives as raid. Now can I put them on the cable as the secondary slave on either ide 3 or 4, or should I put it on another channel alltogether, like with my CD-RW ? Does it matter ??
  2. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 709

Plugging your other drive into another IDE channel altogether is no problem. I don't know for sure, but you should be able to plug it in as a slave drive also, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have an extra IDE channel open because slave drives are slower than primary drives.

I have a similar setup, but with 60GB hard drives and have had no problems installing extra hard drives. Hope this helps, post back if you have other questions :)
  3. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

I would stick it on another channel entirely, that way you don't risk bandwidth contention when u start copying files between the drives - Particularly if you have an onboard raid controller.
  4. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,006

Thanks for the imput guys, yes I do have an onboard raid controller, I will prolly just stick it on one of the CD channels to transfer what I want, It is gonna be mainly for storage anyway, like all the stuff I download and my MP3's....Again thanks.
  5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 709

Just curious Boeingfixer, but what kind of cluster sizes did you use to make the raid array? I'm about to reformat and optimize my raid so I was just wondering what worked best for you...
  6. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,006

I believe I used 64 for the cluster size...I will run it again tomorrow moring and tell you what I have.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.