Different speeds of ram

gabars

Hi, this question has probably been answered many times but I can't find how to word it properly, so all I found was people asking if they could have 2 different sticks of ram. What I want to know is if I already have 2 sticks of DDR3-1600 RAM (Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C11) running in dual channel. If I buy 2 more sticks of higher frequency ram, let's say 1866, will they run at 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz?

The reason I'm asking is because I see the need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but I'd like to keep the 2 sticks I already have because I don't have much money in the bank. I'd like to know if buying a pair of higher speed RAM is worth it or should be avoided. 1866 RAM is not much more expensive than 1600, sometimes it's actually cheaper for the same brand and size (see this one and this one).

Advice?

My motherboard supports DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066

When I wanted to go from 3GB to 12GB, I bought exactly (right down to the maker's model number) the same RAM as I had already...used...on eBay.. for less than $20 including shipping.

Buy in USA if you live there...tariff and duties are a killer... so stick in your own country.

Buy 'used' with no disclaimer about 'as is' or 'parts only'.

Good luck.

Back