Different startup services for different users on Vista?

By Andros_Forever
Nov 27, 2008
  1. Hello again TechSpot forum members! I am back after many months with a new topic which I have been reaserching to little avail. I am trying to make a "Gaming" user account, where ALL non-essential services are not started up with log on. I still wish for Vista to start all services normally when I log on with my Administrator account. I have tried using msconfig while logged on as my "Gaming" user to turn off all the startup services and restarted the computer. When I log with "Gaming" all services are turned off like I want them to be, but they are also all turned off when I go to my Administrator user account. How would I set my system up so I don't have to change the configurations each time I switch users?
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

To the best of my knowledge the simple answer to your question is "you can't".

I'll explain and offer what i think might an alternative (but not nearly as convenient alternative)

First off, if you look at system service startup types, many service startups are decided even before any user logon.
    • Startup Type = Disabled prevents a service from starting AND from even being loaded. The only way to start a disabled service is change its startup type and reboot!
    • Startup Type = Automatic starts a service on system boot. There is no dependency on user logon
    For XP, the classic approach to this problem used hardware profiles (not userids) to define your services. Then you could at least reboot using different hardware profiles.

But Vista no longer allows you to create/remove hardware profiles at will.

So.. i think the best solution for Vista is creating two different service configuration batch files. When you want to change configurations you'll need to run the configuration file yourself and then reboot.

Use the sc command to change service configuration. And note that while the usage of the many different possible sc command parameters might appear confusing... i think you should ONLY need look at /deal with changing existing services' startup type.

- Ghost image your hard drive so you can recover if you;re going to play with this
    - Export your current service configuration so you can also have a simple file you can look at to see the original configuration before all your changes
  3. Andros_Forever

Andros_Forever TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

Txs LookinAround, It seems that Vista has botched up another helpful tool that XP had. Too bad, I was looking foward to having a "Gaming" profile for startup programs. Aniway if anyone has any ideas on how I could accomplish something similar to what I have in mind, please feel free to share.
  4. Cybelex

Cybelex TS Rookie Posts: 46

Services are designed to be system-wide so that they run even when no one is logged in. That is why people use tools like FireDaemon to make some programs run as services.

For defragging and some other purposes, I often want to run a "minimal" system and have a couple ways I go about that. One is to use SmartClose. When finally configured, it will close all the programs and services that you want closed and then restart them when you are done. Services need to be in the correct order so that dependencies are considered.

Another program called "Custom Startup" is very useful because you can make "profiles" of what group of programs you want to run when you boot up. Not free.

Another thing you can do is to create a batch file that closes unneeded services and then restarts them. Here is an example:

net stop acrsch2svc
    net stop aelookupsvc
    net stop avg7alrt
    net stop NfsClnt
    net stop avg7updsvc
    net stop bits
    net stop bfe
    net stop keyiso
    net stop eventsystem
    net stop browser
    net stop cryptsvc
    net stop cmdagent
    net stop uxsms
    net stop dhcp
    net stop dps
    net stop WdiSystemHost
    net stop TrkWks
    net stop Dnscache
    net stop EapHost
    net stop fdPHost
    net stop FDResPub
    net stop IKEEXT
    net stop iphlpsvc
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop KtmRm
    net stop MMCSS
    net stop NetTcpActivator
    net stop NetPipeActivator
    net stop NetTcpPortSharing
    net stop Netman
    net stop netprofm
    net stop NlaSvc
    net stop nsi
    net stop CscService
    net stop WPDBusEnum
    net stop "Posadis 0.60.6"
    net stop Spooler
    net stop PcaSvc
    net stop ProtectedStorage
    net stop EMDMgmt
    net stop SbieSvc
    net stop seclogon
    net stop wscsvc
    net stop LanmanServer
    net stop RasMan
    net stop ShellHWDetection
    net stop slsvc
    net stop SSDPSRV
    net stop WindowBlinds
    net stop SysMain
    net stop SENS
    net stop TabletInputService
    net stop lmhosts
    net stop TapiSrv
    net stop TermService
    net stop Themes
    net stop upnphost
    net stop ProfSvc
    net stop VMAuthdService
    net stop VMnetDHCP
    net stop "VMware NAT Service"
    net stop vmount2
    net stop WebClient
    net stop Audiosrv
    net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
    net stop WerSvc
    net stop Eventlog
    net stop MpsSvc
    net stop Winmgmt
    net stop TrustedInstaller
    net stop WAS
    net stop WSearch
    net stop W32Time
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc
    net stop LanmanWorkstation

For restarting, just replace each "stop" with "start".

By the way, NEVER use msconfig to control services. In fact, msconfig should only be used for diagnostic purposes so that you do not need to run in "selective" startup. Use the services console to control services, and use a good startup manager for user programs. Errors in msconfig are also frequent and unbootable systems can result.

Startup Control Panel
    MZ Startup Manager
    Startup Control Panel (Exe version for Vista)
    Emsa Startup Manager
    EM Startup Manager
    WheresJames Startup Manager
  5. Andros_Forever

Andros_Forever TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

TYVM Cybelex! Great response to my query, I appreciate your effort. I find the program "SmartClose" to be the nearest to perfect answer to what I was looking for. I am currently using it and I am very satisfied with the results. Thank you again, cheers :)
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Is good to know about SmartClose and certainly use it if it helps meet your need (and it's certainly better to simply stop unneeded services then have them running)

But as regards my answer earlier (where i had gamer's goal of minimizing all resources as much as possible to be available for games) note:
    - A disabled service is never loaded so requires zero resources
    - A stopped service still requires some system resources even when not running
    - Certainly a running service requires still more resource usage then when stopped

• I can't quantify the resource differential between a service stopped vs. disabled
    • SmartClose is, without question, a great idea to certainly reduce resource usage :grinthumb
    • But if a gamer wants to disable services as was done in XP to guarantee it takes zero resources, i think the only option is still a batch file using the sc command to refigure system services before rebooting
    But can't tell you how whether it's worth all the hassle of getting your config batch files right to disable vs. simply stopping! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.