Different task manager problem than described elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a task manager problem that seems to be different than the one described by many in this forum. I'm running Win XP.

1) "Ctrl. alt. del." will open my task manager, but it has no tabs or any way to view processes running or connection performance. Also, there is no X or -- in the corner of the window to close or minimize it and right clicking on the tab in the task bar also does not let you close or minimize it. Also, via other means I have seen that I have almost 50 processes running, far more than I would ever choose to run at once.

2) When I have multiple browser windows open i cannot use the scroll wheel on my mouse. To scroll, i can only use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen. Opening any more than 4 explorer or firefox browser windows at once usually causes the computer to freeze up.

3) I found that my MS firewall was off. I'm pretty sure I had it on, so this virus must have turned it off.

4) MS malware tool, MS antispyware, ad-aware, spysweeper 3.5, and norton antivirus have not found anything.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions.

Thanks

gdra said:
I'm having a task manager problem that seems to be different than the one described by many in this forum. I'm running Win XP.

1) "Ctrl. alt. del." will open my task manager, but it has no tabs or any way to view processes running or connection performance. Also, there is no X or -- in the corner of the window to close or minimize it and right clicking on the tab in the task bar also does not let you close or minimize it. Also, via other means I have seen that I have almost 50 processes running, far more than I would ever choose to run at once.
Double click anywhere in the task manager.
gdra said:
2) When I have multiple browser windows open i cannot use the scroll wheel on my mouse. To scroll, i can only use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen. Opening any more than 4 explorer or firefox browser windows at once usually causes the computer to freeze up.
As patio said, I'd look into getting the proper drivers for your mouse.
gdra said:
3) I found that my MS firewall was off. I'm pretty sure I had it on, so this virus must have turned it off.
4) MS malware tool, MS antispyware, ad-aware, spysweeper 3.5, and norton antivirus have not found anything.
Have you tried Hijack this? I'd suggest searching our site for it, as there is tons of information on it. You can look in the Security and the Web forum for the most details.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Having exact same Task Manager Problem!

gdra,

I have the exact same problem. Nothing seems to help. I thought it was my tablet and pen, so I got a new one and updated the drivers. It didn't help. It is the strangest thing. Sometimes when I am working and can't afford to wait forever or loose my work, I will open a second Task Manager because the first one froze too. Then the computer starts to respond again and I will close the first Task Manager. It just keeps on doing that. Did you notice the light on the HD blinking as in stand by mode? Mine does that when it feezes.

Any input is greatly appreciated as I can't really get another pc right now...

acquamarina

Like the other guy mentioned only don't double click on the window. Put your cursor right on the right hand border or in the empty space next to the users tab, and click the mouse twice. It will revert to the tabbed version.

Go to MS Power Toys and download TweakUi. Open the program and expand mouse. Click on wheel. Make sure the box saying use mouse wheel for scrolling, is checked.

Thank you!

luvhuffer,

Thank you very much! At least this part of the problem is solved. I am wondering if the pen/tablet are the cause of my problem... I will check out the download you recommended.

Thanks again! At least now I feel there may be a fix for this thing.

Vera

Having same problem

I am having the same problem. But mine happened after I tried setting up a network. I do not think it is a virus or anything that why you can not detect anything with your antivirus or spyware. I am looking at how to fix this and should have away by the end of the night as soon as I do I will post it.

Well I did what the other forum post said about double clicking in the right hand corner and it worked. Woohoo thanks everyone for the post. I guess from now on I wil not try setting up a network while working on wifes computer and working on my kids computer all at once kinda lose track of what you are doing and which mouse you had your hand on when you starting to click. Might also not do things when I am so tired LOL. Thanks all for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back