Different Windows XP computers shutting off during virus scans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I am working on two different computers belonging to two different people... Each will shut itself off during a virus scan or if you just use it for awhile.

One is a laptop (P-III 1.1GHz / 512MB), the other is a desktop (P-III / 256MB). Both have Windows XP and run fairly well except for this problem...

It does not matter what kind of virus scan it is.. Norton Antivirus, Mcafee, Trend Micro... Online scanners etc... It seems like anything that scans the hard disk in Windows causes these computers to shut off.

I have physically removed the drives and scanned them in a seperate system using Norton Antivirus 2004, Mcafee 7.1, Panda Antivirus and Tred Micro PC-Cillin, but no viruses have been detected.

I have also run disk, memory, cpu and system diagnostics through both systems. Each computer certifiably perfect.

Here's the information I have so far:

- Both systems have Windows XP
- Drives are error free
- No viruses found
- Passed standard & extended memory tests (memtest86)
- Passed 5 hour burn-in stress tests (DOS environment)
- Power management is disabled in software and BIOSes
- 3rd party power management utilities are uninstalled
- Usually shuts off within an hour (varies)
- Latest updates etc... Installed. The laptop did not have SP-1, so I installed it. Made no difference.

I've seen some weird things, but this has me stumped. Anyone experiencing this out there?

Have you checked that these computers are not simply shutting down when the temps get too high due to all the activity taking place during a virus scan? Do they still shut down when running in safe mode?

Originally posted by Nic
Have you checked that these computers are not simply shutting down when the temps get too high due to all the activity taking place during a virus scan? Do they still shut down when running in safe mode?

Well, they pass the stress tests in DOS with no problems and that, if anything, should have these systems burning up.

I even taped the air vent shut on the laptop make it hot as possible... Still worked fine for 5 hours at full speed. So I believe we can rule out heat.

Good thinking though, because that was one of my initial guesses too. It seems like the more I look at these computers, the less is wrong with them! :)

The systems will also shut off when idle for random amounts of time.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOUND!

While the desktop remains a mystery, I believe I have found a solution to the laptop shutdown problems.

I update the BIOS on the Toshiba laptop - Apparently it has falsified overheating issues - And it appears to be resolved. Even though it does not appear to be overheating, it must report to Windows XP that it is dangerously hot and then performs a soft shut down.

This only happens in a Windows environment. I am unable to reproduce this in DOS or Linux boot diskettes.

For future reference, the model is Toshiba Satellite 1805-S274

After researching this model, I found that many simliar Toshibas have had the same problem... Many without success stories.

Now... The desktop is still a mystery. But maybe I will update the BIOS on that too. It's a long shot, but perhaps a cosmical coincidence both have the same problems. The desktop averages about 45*C. which isn't overly hot... It is a 1GHz Pentium III. But I figure it is worth trying.

So you were partly right, Nic. Psuedo-overheating if you will. :)

The same problem I have when I scan my pc using norton anti-virus; it will not complete the whole scan, rather, the pc will just shut off. I wonder if you find resolve and share please.

[Now... The desktop is still a mystery. But maybe I will update the BIOS on that too. It's a long shot, but perhaps a cosmical coincidence both have the same problems. The desktop averages about 45*C. which isn't overly hot... It is a 1GHz Pentium III. But I figure it is worth trying.

I would like to comment here. I had this very same issue for over 2 weeks now and someone mentioned changing the video card. I had put in a new hard drive. I knew it was not the power supply because I got good readings and with the pws. It would shut off and most of the time stay off. Or cools down. Ne way I changed out the video card and low and behold. 2 days now up and running and no shutting down.
Thanks to everyone on here for your generous help.

Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back