Digital photo-editing with AMD processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK93

Hi all,
I'm planning on building a computer for equal use between games, photo editing, and solid modeling. What I have in mind is a AMD 3700 (939), asus A8N-SLI deluxe (or maybe premium) board, and evga 6800GT vid card (1 to start). I know it'll be good for gaming, and I think it'll be OK for the solid modeling that I do, although this is not the ideal card for this. Does anyone have experience using and AMD setup for photo work? The adobe site lists Intel CPUs as system requirements for it's products, and I'm a bit worried that AMD won't cut it. I will be doing relatively basic photo editing, and possibly some simple video editing in the future, so I think the AMD should be OK.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

Thanks,
John

John,
Have you considered a dual core CPU such as the 3800X2? Intel CPu's are recommended for video editing because they have hyperthreading capabilities and the software is coded to take advantage of this. Hyperthreading is a single core CPU that can simulate two separate processors if the software is designed to run in parallel threads. A dual core, obviously, would take advantage of this coding more effectively than hyperthreading and should fulfill the requirements you have as well as being a superior gamer. Plus a 3800X2 overclocks like a banshee.

Merc,
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked quickly into the 3800X2 just now, and it is definately an option (based on $$ and performance). Is this a big step up from the 3700? Is it worth the extra $100 for the performance increase?

John

John-
That question will open up all kinds of debate since there isn't a whole lot of software out there that takes advantage of dual cores. In your case, however, I can safely say that it is well worth the extra $100. Your software is designed for multithreading and will benefit greatly fom the dual cores. Also, the 3800X2 is a very solid performer. It is a no-brainer if you want AMD. Intel makes a low priced dual core too but the AMD X2 beats it in every benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back