Digital Research 24x10x40

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

I just bought a Digital Research brand 24x10x40 CDRW drive. It was $80 american at Best Buy with a ten dollar rebate. I had also received a $50 gift certificate so it was actually $30! This has got to be one of my best investments. I have burned 8 cds already without a single problem. I have burned all kinds too, copying of cd-to-cd, mp3 cds, cd audio cds, data cds, iso cds, and without a problem. I was hesitant to buy this brand over Plextor but i figured if the drive didnt' work up to my expectations i'd just return it. I'm sure glad i saved the $80 buying this one over the plextor. :grinthumb Digital research :grinthumb

Cool, glad you like it. I bought my dad a Lite-On 24x10x40 and he loves it. Burns real fast and hasn't messed up a cd once.

Funny story: My sister has my old 2x2x6 and burned 3 identical cds on my dads burner because she though they were finishing too quick and something had to be wrong

I bought my cheap Bus-Link 16x10x40x at best buy and I havent made a single cd coaster yet and ive almost burned a 50-pack of cd-r's

-------------------------------------------------------
Duron 750@1000, Epox 8KTA3, 256Mb PC133, 30Gb WD HDD, GeForce2 Pro 200/400

I bet that the Digital Research is made by Lite-On. Usually those Best Buy brands are made by a major OEM manufacturer.

Very good purchase Phatman..I may have to invest myself. My 16x Yamaha sounds like a jet is taking off evertime it spins up.

hmmm It might be time to upgrade that Mitsumi 8x4x2 CDRW drive ;).

Any suggestions :).

The Philips ones look good :).

ss1.

Originally posted by svtcobra
I bet that the Digital Research is made by Lite-On. Usually those Best Buy brands are made by a major OEM manufacturer.

Very good purchase Phatman..I may have to invest myself. My 16x Yamaha sounds like a jet is taking off evertime it spins up.

wow, u hit the nail right on the head cobra. I checked out my device manager and there it says LITE-ON LTR-24102B. Anyways, whatever it is, it works great! lol

My drive is made by Lite-on too. I had a 16x Yamaha drive too that I returned for my Bus-Link drive because it was unbelievably loud when it would spin up. svtcobra, did you get your Yamaha drive from best-buy too?

-------------------------------------------------------
Duron 750@1000, Epox 8KTA3, 256Mb PC133, 30Gb WD HDD, GeForce2 Pro 200/400

hmmm is there any advantage of getting a SCSI CD-Burner over an IDE one?

ss1.

yes, there is a list of reasons which i'm sure that Phantasm will grace you with. I got an IDE one just for convenience. I bought a motherboard with RAID on it so i would have plenty of ide channels for cdroms, zip drives, dvdroms, burners etc. so it would defy the reason i spent so much on a raid mobo by getting an scsi burner which requires an scsi pci card. These are just my reasons for not getting an scsi one, but there are some benefits to getting one.

Hey Gang,

I too have used several Lite-On, Buslink and currently use a Samsug. Lite-on makes drives for alot of OEM's and they really are great drives. PC world listed both the Samsung and Lite-on's as one of the 10 best to buy.

You are correct, the Buslinks are made by Lite-On. I have made a few coasters but not at the fault of the drive.

If you want a good drive, may I suggest you also check out the Samsung. I have a 16x10x32. The best part of this drive is it is absolutely silent. The first few times I used it I thought it was broken.

Good luck

Originally posted by ss1
hmmm is there any advantage of getting a SCSI CD-Burner over an IDE one?

ss1.

I say NO. I think the limitation for CD-Burners is how fast and stable they can spin a disk without obliterating it. IDE channels provide enough bandwidth to flow continuous data to a CD-burner and the best way to speed up the burning process is to make the disk spin faster.

I would agree with erwin1978.

Ide burners and motherboards have come a long way. A top of the line SCSI burner may still perform better but you are going to have to pay alot more for not only the burner but a SCSI card to make it compatable with your computer. Ide's are on the cheap now. I picked up my Samsung for less than $90 US and love the performance even though there are faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back