TechSpot

Digital Storm's new Vanquish gaming PCs nearly as cheap as DIY

By Shawn Knight
Apr 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. There are a number of reasons to build a custom PC but chief among them is price. Find the right deals on individual components and you can put together a sweet gaming rig for far less than it would cost...

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

You can still do custom builds that would outperform those for significantly cheaper, with a much better case.

psycros and Mallok like this.
  3. Mallok

Mallok TS Rookie Posts: 22   +7

I don't build because it's cheaper, even though that is a factor. I build because I can hand pick each part and I enjoy it.

H3llion and danhodge like this.
  4. spencer

spencer TS Addict Posts: 202   +22

Good I have a friend that thinks he's to stupid to build a pc, this is a lot better than what he was planning on getting.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,055

I agree. Although building a gaming rig is not everyone's cuppa tea, I still get a kick out of building mine. I'm also in the fortunate position of being able to get all my parts at cost so I'd be able to build the exact same rig as Digital Storm but for a lot less.

6. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +67

Building and tinkering is a hobby... I'll never buy a pre-built system... well I can't say that I might if they get really cheap I'll buy one then cannibalize the system to build something else. ( I don't ever see them getting cheap enough to warrant that method over newegg/amazon though).

7. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

Building a custom machine isn't just because I want my PC cheaper, it's because I actually enjoy piecing together my own rig.

8. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

Good news to people that dont know how build a PC... cheap & quality is good

9. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Most PC builders do it as a hobby or as a job not to save a couple dollars. After building somewhere around 500 computers for other people over a 6 year period I decided I wanted a Alienware to replace my aging gaming PC since 2008, idk why exactly at the time, I had always used high end dells as my laptops, so I had good sales connections within dell. When I sat down and thought about it though I really only bought the alienware for the case, no other case on the market seemed as cool to me, and some of the technology in the case isn't available to custom builders (like the light control system). I have built around another 20 PC's since buying the alienware, and I am always tinkering with other systems but when its time to sit down and game it nice to know this thing is gonna work, do it's job well, and looks awesome (to me at least).

10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Did you know my Asrock motherboard had only a 1 year guarantee? Didn't find out until afterward. Diablo power supplies have a 3 year guarantee, but try to collect on that. They ignore RMAs.

11. avioza

avioza TS Enthusiast Posts: 74   +23

SSD is now a must for any performance minded build in my opinion. Only one of those has an SSD... and not a big enough one at that.

Still better than alot of mainstream offerings I suppose.