Dimension 1100 with Club 3D ATI Radeon 9250 - No picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia678

Hello. I have a Dimension 1100 with the motherboard built in Intel Graphics card. I've bought a Club 3D ATI Radeon card (PCI) with 128 Mb memory to upgrade. I've put it in one of the PCI slots, attached the monitor cable to the new card and started the system up and the monitor goes black. If I switch monitor cable to the original motherboard graphics card everything's OK. Anybody have a clue what the problem might be? I've gone into BIOS and checked the graphics setting to be on Auto. I've also tried with another card (A Rage II 3D) and this works fine. Could it simply be that the new card is not working, or have I missed something out?

Well I've been into BIOS and checked the settings for the graphic device. There's two options, Auto and Onboard. I've set it to auto but it still doesn't work, screen is black?

Ok,
In another area, there should be a setting that will say something like "first video device PCI or AGP"... Set this to AGP.

One other thought,
there might be physical jumpers on the motherboard for this

Tmagic650 said:
Ok,
In another area, there should be a setting that will say something like "first video device PCI or AGP"... Set this to AGP.

One other thought,
there might be physical jumpers on the motherboard for this

I actually called Dell support earlier today, and I got the same answer, that I should switch to AGP. But the only alternatives I have is Auto or Onboard. If Auto is set it seems the computer checks the PCI slots first on startup, and if nothing there it goes to the onboard card. And this is actually what happened when I've tried with another card, worked fine. But not with the Radeon card.

What's 'physical jumpers', something I need to switch on?

Was the "other" video card AGP? The Radeon may be bad. Physical jumpers are little plastic pieces that fit over pins on Hard Drives, CD players and motherboard pins

OK, the other card is a 3D rage II. It must be PCI because that's the only slots I have available. I suppose that's why I can't switch to AGP in BIOS.

I had a look at this picture also, and my slots looks exactly like the PCI's there.

id01f16.png

It sounds like the AGP slot is bad... It is not that uncommon on older proprietary motherboards. You may have to stick with the PCI video card or the on-board video

OK, thanks for helping out, but I just got to make this clear. I don't have any AGP slot. I have three PCI slots, and both the new Radeon card and the old Rage II card I've tried out are PCI.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Garcia678,
the picture you posted clearly shows an AGP slot... I thought all ATI Radeon cards were AGP. If what you say is correct, the Radeon is still bad, PCI or AGP

Tmagic650 said:
Garcia678,
the picture you posted clearly shows an AGP slot...
I think he posted the picture to show what PCI looked like, not to show what was in his computer. I mean, no Dells still have ISA Slots anyway. The board is an Abit, not a Dell.

Garcia, it does sound like your video card is dead, can you try is in someone else's computer?

Precisely, the picture was not from my computer.

I could check the card in another computer. But if the Rage card works perfectly I suppose the Radeon card should work also if it was ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back