Dimension E510 and Nvidia 7800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishan22

Hi!
Alright im in a bit of a pickle.
I have just bought myself a Dimension E510 which comes with a 305w PSU
and have received a 7800GTX as a gift. The box for the card says it requires a 400W PSU minimum (non SLI) 500W (SLI).
So i was wondering if anyone else been through this problem?
Will it run?
If not anyone know a good PSU i can get to replace the standard dell PSU?
or would u suggest i just get another card tht would work with my standard PSU (bye bye graphics :() ?

Hi and welcome to TechSpot :)

i don't see how there's any problem yet? just try it, if your PSU can't handle it, you'll know ;)

you might need an adapter like the one below for the power connector, but that's no big deal.

even if you do end up needing a new PSU, don't worry your PC uses a standard ATX power supply, so it won't be a problem to find a suitable upgrade.

just make sure that you buy a quality brand PSU like Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, or Fortron, don't buy some garbage generic brand.

also, it's not the total wattage that's important, the amperage is what's important. generally a good brand PSU will have sufficent amperage for your hardware.

i guess im just frettin coz its not here yet and i cant try it out :p. ill be back on here if i need help. Thanks again :)

as far as I know, it uses a standard ATX power supply. yuo should have no problem at all finding an upgrade

Hey again
got the PSU in hooked everythin up and its workin great. Fit perfectly lost of extra connectors of future addons.
i have one last question though the PSU came with a PSU fan monitor connector my old psu didnt have one so i couldnt fig out where it goes. Is it essential?

i was just on the phone with a dell technical service and he said that the computer is compatible with maximun of 305watts of power supply and he also said changing the power supply to greater watts can damage the motherboard or other components....so i dont know

another e510 PSU upgrade question for Ishan22

I sent you a private message i think but in case it didn't send --

I have a Dell e510 and want to upgrade my PSU (and video card).

Please let me know if you have a dual core processor or the standard pentium 4, and how you knew to get the 550 W Antec. Apparently the 550 W would work with a dual core, but a 480 W wouldn't. I called Antec and they weren't too helpful in trying to find a compatible PSU upgrade for my Dell.

But you said your 550 W fit in the e510 chasis so that's reassuring. Is it still working well with your video card? Is installation a problem?

Thanks a lot.

ishan22 said:
Like i said above i got a new psu antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V and everythin works fine.

Heya Ishan, probably a stupid question but I ordered the same power supply and it doesn't have the 4 pin power cable for the mother board.

my e510 mobo needs a 24 pin and a 4 pin for the mobo.

The power supply only has a 24 pin (which you can split into a 20 pin and a 4 pin)

How did you get around that?

thanks!

dinoj96, did you get the e510 with a Pentium Dual Core, or did you get the Pentium 4? I think there may be an incompatability issue if you have one and ishan has the other... But then again, i know very little about this stuff.

I'm looking into the same power supply, so keep me posted please.

dinoj96 said:
Heya Ishan, probably a stupid question but I ordered the same power supply and it doesn't have the 4 pin power cable for the mother board
if your PSU doesn't have the 12v 2x2 motherboard connector, then you didn't get the same PSU as ishan22 has.

ishan22 got the Antec TruePowerII 550, all the truepower models (and all modern PSUs for that matter have the separate 2x2 connector. I also have a truepowerII PSU as well, the connector has 2 black wires and 2 yellow wires.

are you sure that you have the same PSU?

I have the same power supply as Ishan22, I used his link to order it :)

The issue was it comes with breakdown connectors. The 8 pin splits into 2 4 pins. Once I had it split, the computer came right up.

I'm using the power supply mentioned and a Geforce 7900GT from evga with no problems and its FAST!

Thanks for the help and phtgrphr18, just use the link on this page to order the same power supply as Ishan22 and you'll have no problem, just remember the 8 slot power connector breaks down into two 4 slot power connectors ;)

thanks for all the help, I love the new computer!

Wow! You guys are wonderful!!!

I heard the exact same thing from Dell too. Though it it didn't make sense to me ( not to mention I was calling someone in a foreign country, who's accent I couldn't quite understand, and OBVIOUSLY had never had a computer, except at work, themselves). They just want to castigate you for not buying the XPS!
So please, I'm an old dude who grew up on 8/16 bit systems. I just want to run an X1900/512 on my 3.2 Intel E510 W/ 2 gb for MSTS applications.

I'm not trying to pwn any GPU. I just want it to run. Please post a URL for the most appropriate/ albeit wallet freindly PSU that will get the job done on the proprietary Dell MOBO.
Thanx for your hlp!!!
JW

Just to tell you you could have a 1000 watt PSU and if you computer only draws 300 watts you are only going to draw 300 watts.
I hope you understand what I am saying.

dinoj96 said:
I have the same power supply as Ishan22, I used his link to order it :)
oops :eek: you're right!,

I mixed up the TruePowerII 550w with the TruePower2.0 550w. my mistake... sorry for the confusion ::blush:

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back