Dinosaur AGP System - The last hoorah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chudnab

Hello All -

I'm budgeting for a new rig; however, I'd like to upgrade my GPU one last time before my current PC fossilizes.

Specs:

Cooler Master (RP-500-PCAR) Extreme 500 Watt (500W, 500Watt) Power Supply
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 462(A) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD MOBO
AMD Athlon 3000+ Barton w/Swiftech M462-A
3GB Kingston HyperX 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP w/DVI/TV-OUT
HD 120GB|SEAGATE ST3120023A
Creative SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card
Viewsonic G810 CRT

The only games I play regularly are:

BF2
BF Special Forces
BF2142
Half Life2 (and all mods)
C and C Generals/Zero Hour

I'm not looking to play newer games right now (mainly because my PC can't run them). I simply want better graphics and performance within the games I currently play.

I've been looking at the Sapphire Radeon HD3850, any thoughts?

FYI - I'm looking to spend $100 - $150.

My last question... If the GPU is DirectX 10 compatible, does that mean that I will still be able to play DirectX 9 games?

Thanks for your interest...

Chud

Hello All -....[ ]...... My last question... If the GPU is DirectX 10 compatible, does that mean that I will still be able to play DirectX 9 games?

Thanks for your interest...

Chud

Yes, certainly. Direct X 10 is sort of mostly mythological at the moment anyway.

You do realize that for $150.00 you could buy an Intel E8400 C2D and be on your way to a new system. Money is money and situations are situations, so pay me no mind, I'm just saying......

You do realize that for $150.00 you could buy an Intel E8400 C2D and be on your way to a new system.

Thank you for clearing up the DirectX issue. All I have heard about it is Vista this and Vista that. So I didnt want to purchase a GPU that wouldn't function properly on previous OS.

As for purchasing the Intel E8400 C2D, sure I would be moving in the direction of a newer system; however, I would have to purchase a new MOBO, GPU, etc... which would be spending money that I dont have at this time. (My current MOBO is a 462 pin.)

It is great to know that, in the future, transitioning from my Dinosaur to a substantially faster/better machine will be easier on the wallet.

Thank you again for your time. I really appreciate it.

Chud

Go for a 7300GT. It will provide better performance than your 6200 and will not break the bank while doing so.

As for purchasing the Intel E8400 C2D, sure I would be moving in the direction of a newer system; however, I would have to purchase a new MOBO, GPU, etc... which would be spending money that I dont have at this time. (My current MOBO is a 462 pin.)
Say no more, it happens to all of us, me as well, more often than I care to admit, even to myself.

I admire your notably humble nature :approve:

Would you be willing/able to offer some guidance regarding suitable AGP GPU's?

I could really use a little direction so that I don't wind up making the same mistake all over again. (I purchased my current GPU without sufficient research. It is definately not a gaming unit.)

Chud

When viewing comparison charts, you have to take into consideration that a GT73000 can be had for $30.00 or so, versus the $100.00 to $150.00 you've suggested is the price for the ATI3850. This is the reason that Rage has suggested it.

Just from a financial and philosophical standpoint, toughing it our for a time with the cheaper card might get you more invested in saving towards that new computer.

I want, what I want, when I want it myself, but this isn't always the soundest or most sensible approach.

Haha, so very true. Ahh, I feel like a typical American... "I gotta have it, I want it, I know I need it!!"

You bring up a very viable point. I will definately be able to save more if I choose to go with the 7300. In the long run, that is the most practical selection. Thanks again, to both of you, for your guidance and assistance.

Chud

You might want to look into a 7600GT, I have no idea what they cost, but they are pretty good units, better than the 7300 and shouldn't be too expensive. I know how you feel with AGP, I at one time purchased a very expensive (at the time) 7800GS, then later bought a crossover motherboard so I could run an AGP card and a C2D at the same time. It sort of worked out for me, but I definately don't recommend doing such things if you can avoid it. It might be best for you to just get an inexpensive Gigabyte board, low end C2D, and a midrange PCIe card. Then just keeping your current system for a secondary one (or try and sell it.. but you won't get much).

It seems you will be punished severely with respect to price should you elect to upgrade your AGP system. Here are 2 GT7300 cards, 1 PCIE X16 the other AGP.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121256
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143102
At the moment Newegg doesn't even have a GT7600 in stock, only some 7600GS cards.
At this point, referencing back to what they had a couple of months ago, it's starting to look like the last hoorah for 7XXX series cards altogether

Just as a pointer on the two cards, the 7600GS is basically a heavily-underclocked (both core and memory) 7600GT, with slower GDDR2 memory on it (usually) compared to the GDDR3 on the 7600GT. Performance between the two at stock frequencies gives the 7600GT a roughly 35-40% lead. An overclocked 7600GS will close the performance gap to around 5-10% or so though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back