TechSpot

Direct3D restarts PC in fullscreen mode

By Husqman
Dec 2, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi
    My problem is that my PC restarts itself when changing to Direct3D fullscreen mode(dxdiag, games, and also WinTv2000 program, I don't know why). If I run such programs in windowed mode, everything works fine, WinTV program too if i've disabled its "Allow screen resolution change" function. I've updated video card drivers, DirectX is 9.0c, and downloaded VIA 4in1 newest drivers. When i turned the automatic restart function off from My computer advanced settings and then tried Direct3D Windows gives me this error message:

***STOP: 0x0000008E(0x0000005, 0x000001DO, 0xB83ABCC8, 0x00000000)

What can I do? :confused:

Windows XP Professional
    AMD Duron 900MHz
    ECS K7VZA motherboard
    300 Mb SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Hauppauge WinTV card

2. FoZA

FoZA TS Rookie

I had that problem ages ago, at the time i was running win98. After a complete format and reinstall of the windows i started getting this error wher ei would get the blue screen and get the x000000 gibberish. And over a period of several months and 1000s of restarts after each crash i singled out that it was direct3D. Whenever i used it even in games it would crash the whole pc.

Unfortunately i have some bad news for you bud. After trying everything in the boundries of software i finally called my computer manufacturer(it was still in guarantee period) and they collected it after a month returned it and the problem never returned. Now i had my pc opened alot of times and i usually get pretty familiar with my hardware and the only thing ive noticed was that they changed the motherboard. However do not take this as a direct advice they might have changed something i havent noticed but i was pretty sure they changed my motherboard. So if i was you i would try with another motherboard.

Hope i was of any help.
    Regards
    FoZA :)

3. malcomp

malcomp TS Rookie

The Soulution To Your Problem

THIS IS A EMAIL I JUST SENT TO MICROSOFT TECNICAL SUPPORT TO LET THEM KNOW HOW TO CURE IT, IT WILL PROBBABLY HELP YOU TO :)

GOOD LUCK

IAN.

Hi there just thought I would let you know what the soulution was.

I download updates to my zonealarm firewall automatically like a good little user. But unfortunatly this was the source of the problem. As soon as I turned off my firewall everything started working fine.

My symptoms were.
    Games ran fine but directx games in full screen crashed to blue screen of death Directx games ran fine in windowed mode.

The fix was to unload zonealram by right clicking the icon and then shutdown zonealarm.

Hope this is usefull to you

Thank you for your help

Ian Mallinson

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.