DirectSound error 0x8878000A, only over Remote Desktop Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audio works fine on my home PC when I'm using the PC itself.

Audio also works fine when I use Remote Desktop Connection to access the home PC from laptop *and send the sound to the laptop*

But audio totally fails when I use Remote Desktop Connection to access the home PC from my laptop *and keep the sound at the home PC*.

I get DirectSound error 0x8878000A (DSERR_ALLOCATED: The request failed because resources, such as a priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

Using DXDIAG in this state, DirectDraw works fine, but Direct3D and DirectSound both fail

And all this used to work fine before I replaced my lame old PCI video card with a Radeon 9600 Pro.

Anyone have any ideas here?

(NOTE: I only have a 200W power supply)

thanks!
-Sean

Problem solved!

One of the MVPs in the Windows XP Remote Connection newsgroup answered this one for me.

It's a known bug in either DX or Remote Desktop Connection.

Workaround 1 is: first play audio on your PC from that PC. While the audio is playing, connect using Remote Desktop Connection, then re-start the audio. It should work fine.

Workaround 2 is: If you're already connected remotely, play a video. This should "wake the audio up", and then you should be able to play sound files.

Workaround 2 usually works most of the time if I keep my user account logged in on the PC (no matter how many times I connect or disconnect remotely). But I've found that I need to use Workaround 1 the first time I connect after logging that user account out of my PC, or rebooting.

Hope this helps anyone else out there that has this problem.

-Sean

Thanks for the resolution, sorry we couldn't get it solved for you, but I'm sure the information will help others. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back