DirecTV Now's $35, 100-channel promo ends on January 9

Jos

Staff

After several months of teasers AT&T finally launched its standalone DirecTV Now streaming service late last month, kicking things off with a limited-time offer to get the Go Big package of over 100 channels for $35 per month instead of the regular $60 rate. The company said that early adopters can retain the rate as long as they keep the plan, but it didn’t say how long the promotion would last, until now.

According to an announcement made by AT&T today, the $35 promo goes away on January 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM Central time. A $35-per-month package will still be around after that, but it’ll only get you around 60 channels instead of 100. There’s also a $50 plan with 80 channels and a $70 plan with 120 channels.

The company left the door open to “reasonable programming price increases” in the future to account for the costs of signing deals with providers, and there’s always the chance that the channel lineup changes down the line without notice. That said, DirecTV Now is a good deal at the current promotional price point. Now that there’s an official cutoff date it will be interesting to see how this affects new signups.

DirecTV Now is supported on a number of devices including Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Android mobile devices, iOS mobile devices and Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast-enabled LeEco TVs, Vizio SmartCast Displays and via Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari web browsers.

You can find the full channel lineup for each of the subscription tiers here.

Permalink to story.

I pay $185 a month for Verizon FIOS.

3 HD set top boxes. Every single Movie channel (except sports cause I don't watch).
Blazing fast internet.
Landline phone.

I haven't had a single issue with Fios since I've had it - for the last 8 years.

I would NEVER downgrade to direct TV or Cable-anything.

time Warner and DTV send me promos and ads and they go straight into my shredder - or I save them to use as kindling for when I burn personal documents.

I look back on the $185 a month that I've been paying for 8 years.

$17,760

I pay it gladly.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have made the same choice.

3 HD set top boxes. Every single Movie channel (except sports cause I don't watch).
Blazing fast internet.
Landline phone.

I haven't had a single issue with Fios since I've had it - for the last 8 years.

time Warner and DTV send me promos and ads and they go straight into my shredder - or I save them to use as kindling for when I burn personal documents.

$17,760

I pay it gladly.

That's about $100 more than people say in google fiber service areas and in places with municipal broadband and for a fraction of the speed.

FYI cable companies like Time Warner only use Cable for the last mile, their backbone has been fiber for some time. In many areas the cable and fiber speeds are the same.

Your comment is senseless.

#1 You don't know "my speeds" cause I never told you.

#2 Triple play packages in this area are $100 (at least) and escalate with equipment, taxes and channel services.

#3 I just said that even knowing the fees could be considered high, I didn't care and was happy with the service - which I could easily decide to change if I wasn't happy.

I think you were so anxious to reply you never stopped to ask yourself if you should.

Blazing fast internet.
Landline phone.

$17,760

I pay it gladly.

And you watch every single movie channel all at the same time, do you? Or are you just hung up on how "cheap" it is for a package with so much choice that you cannot possibly watch it all at the same time?

Its only money. You are free to burn it however you like.

I pay $50/mo for a streaming solution/internet access with free OTA, and I still cannot watch all the content that I get. I would rather put the money I am saving over what I might pay for FiOS or DirecTVs steaming pile into something much more worthwhile.

I could care less about DirecTVs steaming service at $35/mo until January 9. The "promo" is a sales tactic aimed at parting the gullible from their money.

I cut the Dish cord 3-years ago, and even at $110/mo, I would gladly do it all again. I'll never go back to anything that is related to any of the "big guns" in subscriber TV.

All the deals like this are the death throes of subscription TV services. Why on Earth anyone cares whether they get 500 channels of sh!t they can never possibly watch is beyond me.

Back