TechSpot

DirecTV pulls The Weather Channel from lineup over reality TV (and money) dispute

By Shawn Knight
Jan 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. DirecTV customers may have noticed something missing from their channel lineup this week and it wasn’t by accident. The satellite service provider has pulled The Weather Channel from its lineup over claims that it is overrun with reality TV and...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +861

The information that weather.com gives me 50% of the time is hilariously inaccurate, and the other 50% of the time is extremely general and unhelpful.

Honestly I havent visited the weather channel in years as Its just a few taps/clicks away on my ipod or on my PC.

3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

By that logic, MTV should be dropped because it's not the exclusive source of music available, and it's chock full of 95% reality and ridiculousness clutter...

Just be honest, step up, and say it's about money and viewership right from the start. Bad programming choices typically are indicated by lower viewership numbers.

Darkshadoe and learninmypc like this.
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Does the weather channel still play that charlie brown theme? I used to watch it just for that years ago

5. With the Internet, the Weather Channel is pretty much useless anyways. If I was DirecTV I would just let it stay gone, because it is pretty much 100% not needed in the slightest.

6. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,591   +335

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

Who cares. The next weather channel or app that forecasts the weather more or less correctly would be the 1st one.

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Yeah, wunderground is pretty good, however they are going to be switching their interface to a lot more touchscreen friendly one and in turn losing a lot of useful information in the process. Maybe they'll get that straightened out before officially launching it since they are asking for user feedback.

Weather.com is hilariously bad for getting weather now. Their site is cluttered with "you won't believe...." type stories.

9. learninmypc

10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

I don't have DirecTV but I do watch the Weather Channel from time to time. It's like any other channel. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it but I don't mind having the option..

I'm just curious if DirecTV will keep the savings or will they pass it on to their customers. I know it's not a lot per customer but so what? Well, I highly doubt it.

11. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 86

Not only does the channel suck but they really promote the global warming mantra. I wish I could just have the premium movie channels, that's all I watch anyways.

12. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

Love watching "The Prospectors" on that channel. The large dual globe miner has contributed a couple of degrees to global warming.

13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

14. learninmypc

Not positive, but I think that is the customized one where you enter your zip code & I think you then re enter the zip code again & then click on full screen for your personalized local weather forecast like this one http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=New+Orleans,+Louisiana

15. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +107

SATV and CATV just the same avenue. Time to join FREE OTA-DTV..

16. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 55

Did not know it was on Directv. I use weatherbug on my galaxy s4.