DirectX 10 Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
F1N3ST said:
You need a 8800 and windows vista, enjoy.
You know, I really hate these statements. You need a *DX10* card, doesn't have to be a 8800. Well, at least soon it won't need to be a 8800.

Also, "teh beauty"? One, you can use DX10 features in OpenGL through extensions. Two, how does DX10 make it more beautiful? For example, Crysis will run on DX10 AND DX9, and in whichever mode you run it you will have access to ALL the eyecandy.

Well im sure it wont be an ugly game, and it is listed under the requirements, a Geforce 8 series card, which just happens to be the ONLY Dx10 card that is up for retail. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock obviously.

F1N3ST said:
Well im sure it wont be an ugly game, and it is listed under the requirements, a Geforce 8 series card, which just happens to be the ONLY Dx10 card that is up for retail. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock obviously.
First of all, it was the way you stated it that annoyed me. Second, stuff doesn't become "prettier" just because it uses DX10. Just like I said, most DX10 games will run in DX9 with all the eyecandy as well, and you can use "DX10 features" through OpenGL extensions.

agi_shi said:
You know, I really hate these statements. You need a *DX10* card, doesn't have to be a 8800. Well, at least soon it won't need to be a 8800.

I think it's an exception right now since the 8800-series is the only DX10 cards.

I know there is something that looks better in DX10 compared to DX9, if not there must be some performance advantage or whats the point? And im just saying that this is a directx 10 demo that CANNOT be run on DX9 hardware.

Not necessarily. SM3 didn't provide much above SM2.x. The only real advantage to DX10 will be that the video cards will perform better due to the unified shaders. I mean even looking at some DX8 games... some of those still look pretty good (Nothing on FEAR, Doom 3, Oblivion etc but still good)... like Guild Wars.

The only other major thing about DX10 is the support for physics. So pretty much every single game henceforth should include physics.

F1N3ST said:
I know there is something that looks better in DX10 compared to DX9, if not there must be some performance advantage or whats the point? And im just saying that this is a directx 10 demo that CANNOT be run on DX9 hardware.
Exactly. It's mostly for the benefit of speed. Sure, there are a few new features and things, but all of them can be used already in OpenGL (through extensions).

@MetalX - physics? Like, from within DX? Interesting. Though I'm still sticking with the Newton Physics Library ;) (given that I never work with DirectX, but rather use whatever is available to me, i.e., currently Ogre & Newton Game Dynamics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back