DirectX 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

I don't know if anything has been posted about this yet, but does any one have any Idea when DX10 video cards will be coming out? From what I have read DX9 and DX10 are not backwards compatiable with out software, so I don't want to go off and buy a high end DX9 card only to have it be out dated in 2 months by not being DX10 compatiable.

Thats what i heard as well. Pretty much, just dont upgraded until DX10 comes out and the DualCore technology becomes better. Thats what i'm doing.

according to this article the cards are in the works, but won't be available until later this year. it's a good preview of Vista if you've got time to read it. if you don't then here's a snippit of it:
gamespot.com said:
The problem is that DirectX 10 video cards don't exist yet. Nvidia has the G80 in the works and ATI is polishing up the R600, a GPU based on the Xbox 360 "Xenos" core, but cards won't appear until the second half of this year. Even the game companies are having a tough time getting early-development GPU hardware right now. Several game developers we've spoken to have told GameSpot that they're still waiting to see DX10 reference cards.

Aside from a handful of Windows Vista DX10 launch games, most PC games shipping in the next year will be DirectX 9 titles. Since the number of Windows XP DX9 video card system owners will dwarf the Windows Vista DX10 video card installation base for quite some time, we'd have to guess that the DX10 game developers will create DX9-compatible fallback versions of their games to make them playable on current hardware
most people will have no need for DX10 cards for a while. but suckers like me who are die-hard Halo fans will dish out the cash the second that HaloPC2 comes out, and M$ knows it ;)

For people that have an old graphics card, and don`t want to wait that LONG time before DX10 gets here, I recommend getting a new DX9 card.
Like gamespot.com said, most of the titles this and next year will be DX9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back