DirectX 9.0c compatible trouble, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need some help. I bought The Sims 2 and in order for it to work you need DirectX 9.0c. Well I have that, but whenever I try to run it a box comes up telling me that no DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter are detected or something along those lines. I read a message on here where someone else had this problem. I followed some of the advice given there and I opened the directx diag and checked my driver. It says the name is: S3 Graphics Inc. ProSavage and the manufacturer is: S3. What does this mean? Is there anything I can do to make this work? Thanks so much in advance.

Card not good enough?

I have a Gateway computer that is about 2 1/2 years old. It has an Intel(R) 82815 chip in it. I assume that this is the reason that my sims 2 will not run. Is there anything I can do without having to buy a new chip?

I got the sims 2 also, and i'm having the same message appear when i try to start the game. i've looked at all the types of drivers that people have, but mine does not to appear to be anywhere.
Device
Name: S3 Graphics Inc. ProSavage
Manufacturer: S3
ChipType: RevD
DAC type: internal
Approx. Total Memory: 15.0 MB

Drivers
Main Driver: s3_8nb.drv
Version: 4.12.0001.1045
Date: 5/4/2001
WHQL Logo'd - Yes
Mini VDD: s3vdd8nb.vxd
VDD: *vdd,*vflatd
DD1 Version: 7

i've been trying to figure this out for three days now..please someone help!!!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

In order to run SIMS2 you need a graphics card that supports directx9.0c That means you will need the latest drivers.

If the latest drivers for your card do not support directx9.0c then it just wont work and the only alternative is to buy a new graphics card that does support directx9.0c.

You would also have to download and install direct9.0c itself.

I`m sorry if this doesn`t help but that`s all I can say.

Regards Howard :unch:

Howard's answer sound's right to me but I will tell you my experience. I had directx 9.0c and the game said I also needed some extension relating to graphics, I forgot the name. At any rate it was on the CD, it seemed to me there was a separate component needed in rare circumstances.

theres absolutely NOTHING i can do besides buying a new graphics card if it doesnt support directx 9.0c :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: this sucks! are u completely positive because i REALLY dont want 2 buy a new 1. I have an intel(r) 82810 graphics controller

Yes I`m sure.

To recap If your graphics card doesn`t support directx9.0c then there is nothing you can do except buy another card that does support directx9.0c

I wish I could give you better news but unfortunately I can`t

Regards Howard :unch:

cluelessandconf said:
how can i tell if the latest graphics driver supports directx 9.0c? ...i know very little about computers so i am confused

Howard... is correct ,but do not confuse the terms you are using ;
A graphic "Card " is the Hardware device that connects to your Display.
A graphic" driver " is the software files your computer uses to operate the graphic 'Card"
You can find all listed componets under "Control Panel>Dbbl click 'System">click Hardware >Click "Device Manager" Scroll and click + at 'Display Adapters" then jot down the Name of your graphic Card.
Then go to the web site of the Company that made your card and there should be a spec sheet outlining the cards's capabilities.
If you don't have any luck get back to us with the correct name and someone can help you.

I just assumed Directx 9. Here are the specs from EA - After reading it more closely looks like yous will work if your computer is powerful enough, read it all:

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM (such as nvidia GeForce 2 or better or ATI Radeon 7000 or better) then you need at least:

600 MHz P3 processor
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
If you have a non-T&L capable video card (such as TNT2 or Intel Integrated for example) then you need at least:

1.5 GHz processor
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
Recommended video cards (and the more video memory the better):

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Nvidia Geforce 4 or FX series cards

cluelessandconf said:
how can i tell if the latest graphics driver supports directx 9.0c? ...i know very little about computers so i am confused

The only way to tell if the latest graphics driver for your card supports directx9.0c is to go to the website of you card manufacturer and check the specifacations of the latest driver.

Read all the info that is given.

Regards howard
Wizard.gif

The Sims 2 DirectX 9.0c 82815

Taken from the Intel site, I has worked for me!

Symptoms:

The Sims* 2 game will not run.

Error: "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Solution:

The following steps can be used to eliminate or minimize the issue(s) reported with the game:

1. Set the display to 16-bit color. To make this change, follow these steps:
a. Click on the Start menu and select Settings, Control Panel, and then double-click on Display. If using Microsoft Windows* XP: Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel, "Switch to Classic View" if the category view is shown, and then double-click on Display.

b. Select the Settings tab.

c. Change the Color Quality (Color Depth) to 16-bit color.
2. Run the game with the -w switch which forces the game to run in a window. To add this switch, follow these steps:

a. Right-click on the The Sims 2 game and left-click on Properties. You can do this either on the game's shortcut on the desktop or on the game's entry in the Start menu.

b. Add a space and -w to the end of the Target field, so that it looks like this: "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSBin\Sims2.exe" -w

Note: The actual path may vary depending on where the game was installed. Make sure that the -w goes outside the quotation marks and that there is a space between the last quotation mark and the -w.

c. Click OK.

This applies to:
Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller and Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

Solution ID: CS-016327
Date Created: 13-Oct-2004
Last Modified: 11-Nov-2004

Sims2

ive been wondering if my current graphics card and driver areT&L Capable?
i have a 3D AGP S3 graphics savage4 pro with about 32mb
i have also recently downloaded a new driver for my graphics card.
please reply
:confused:

Directx 9 incompatibility problems that I am having

The problem:

Like many I have the Intel 810E chipset which doesn't work with Sims2.

The computer that I am presently using is what I call the business computer.The machine that I used for games has been loaned to my fiancee because his gaming sytem crashed.

The business machine is a cheap POS because all I needed it to do was run spreadsheets and databases and internet access. It does all the prefectly and will run most games as well.

It doesn't have an AGP slot, if it did I would be staples right now buying a GEforce. SO is there anything I can do to make this work other than the -w switch? Really this thing could use a better video card anyway. Can I update the Intel chipset? Is that possible without changing the motherboard?

If not i'll guess I'll wait till my fiancee gets his new machine for christmas that way I can get mine back :)

Thanks!

Thanks

This would be where my computer knowledge ends. I didn't realize that they made them in PCI format. I've just always made sure the machine that I was going to be gaming on had an AGP slot...

Thank you :)!

Hey, the same message, Error: "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate," appears when i try to play the sims 2 but i dont know why because I just bought a new graphics card (Nvidia ge force 5700 LE) and installed directX 9.0. I have no idea what a graphics adapter is and ive been trying to figure this out for months! somebody please help me!

Help mE plEASE

:( Iam Having The Same Problem With The Sims 2....... But I Am Fine With Buying A New Graphics Adapter But I Need To Know Where I Would Get One And How Would I Go About Installing It........also I Have Intel82915g Express Chipset Family I Just Got This Computer A Week A Go And Spent Alot Of Money On It And Was Wondering Why It Wouldnt Be Updated With The Lastest Hardware.

I would suggest you fill in your hardware profile with the actual specs of your current system .Your machine is relatively new and I am not sure if you need a hardwae ugrade.
Since you asked howto install the Vid card ,which is relatively easy ,I suspect you are a novice.Which is no big deal , but i would rather not just throw a bunch of info at you in a hap hazzard manner.
Also give me some idea as to how much money you would be willing to spend.

It is a lot easier to help if we can at least know what hardware is in your system.
Go back earlier in this post #11 the prerequiste hardware has been listed for you.If you can't figure it out ,then post your specs back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back