directx9.0 and the sims2 please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloo_punk123

hi, i'm new, and like alot of people i'm expieriencing problems with my sims 2. i keep getting a message saying:failed to find directx 9.0c adapters in this system!please make sure you have installed the latest drivers provided by the maunufacturer. the application will now terminate. now not too long ago my computer was rebooted because it was overloadd by viruses. i have downloaded the directx 9.0c thing, and ran my diagnostic tool. it says it's all running smoothly, when i went to settings it says direct draw acc.:not available
diect3d:not available
agptexture acc.:not available. i have all the latest drivers, and i have windows xp profetional. when i went to see what graphics card i got by clicking settings on properties it said:color quality 32 bits
and screen resolution 1280by 1024 pixels, and thats it. also when i ran my diagnostic tool it said under notes: the system is using the generic video driver please install video driver provided by hardware manufacturer.
direct3d functionality not available you should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.: one problem, i don't know what a hardware manufacturer is! srry so long, but please help!

are you sure your running a dx 9.0 video card?

what type of card you have

go to run>dxdiag>display and tell us

You recently had spyware. OK, run the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

Once your system is clean, try it again. If you get the error message, try running an XP repair installation. Once that has completed, check for all Windows updates (optional ones too!) Then download and install DirectX 9.0c at Microsoft here Then try it again.

almnneil gonna try what you asked, although my step dad works for comp. and says that there are no viruses,but yes i used to have spyware. to rude bwoy: i can't necessarily tell but just in case this is it it says: DEVICE
MANUFACTURER:N/A
CHIPTYPE:N/A
APPROX. TOTAL MEM. :N/A
CURRENT DISPLAY MODE:1280X1024
DRIVERS
MAIN DRIVER:VGA.DLL
VERSION:5.01.2600.000
DATE:8/4/2004
WHQL LOGO'D:YES
MINIVDD:VGA.SYS
VDD:N/A
DDI VERSION:UNKNOWN
and that's all it says, besides the notes i have up there and the one that says to run my direct draw test which i already did, and everything was perfect. thanks! i REALLY apprechiate your help.

Right, you seem to be running on the generic display driver. Is your PC a brand-name one like an HP Pavilion? In that case, post the model number here. Alternatively, use SIW or Everest Home Edition (Google for them) to tell me your motherboard brand and model.

i ran everything, and no spyware, nada. rage_3k_muiz, it is, dell, where can i find the model number, i have everest, but i have no clue how to use it, srry. so you're saying if i run everest, which i have it,it should tell me my motherboard? is there specialsteps i have to go through on everest? up until now i really had no use to know much about comp. other than gigabites and other types of mem. anyway, if there are steps you're going to have to guide me :( thanks! much apprechiated! okay i think i did this right. i went on everset pressed motherboard i think this wat you're talking about.
MOTHERBOARD ID:12/09/2002-KM266-8235-6A6CVFODC-00
MOTHERBOARD NAME:FICAM37. a bunch more stuff was under it, but i believe this is what you meant, or atlest i hope so. srry 2 trouble you :)

Everest simply displays detailed information about your comp for you. It's trivial to use. Launch it and you'll see.

Also, all Dell's have a Service Tag somewhere on the chassis. Locate it and then go to http://support.dell.com and enter it. It will then give you a detailed listing of your comp (I used to work for Dell.)

this might sound really stupid, brace yourself. what's a chassis?but just in case i found it, does it mention some thing like MODEL:EMACHINESW2260C ETC.? on a tiny yellow sticker? also, my step dad added some new features, where the original ext. that connected the moniter to the comp. was changed, theres two places were i can attach my mon. to the comp., one i cannot use, and if i could remember why i'd tell you, i think it was because of the new graphics or something, i can't quite remember, srry. he updated everything on my comp. to the best and the latest. still, i am running on a generic display driver, and why i have no idea. what is a manufacturer, like it says in the notes i have to tell them this is my final driver, but how do i do that?

Never a stupid question (although some do push the line!)

Chassis = casing of the system tower

Thx for the warning, I appreciate it! :D

i usually try to tell people that i'm about to sound extremely airheaded, so no prob!:p srry i ask so many questions, but when you pay money out of your pocket...yeah, i'm sure you get the point. so i really am thankful theres ppl like you out there!:>

I remember years ago, back when I was a high tech engineer, working the lab. A woman in administration had her position eliminated so the big boss re-designated her as "technical support" so she wouldn't lose her job. He then decided that she had to do technical work to justify her position. He put her in the lab to help me. She was very nervous and I reassured her that there's no such thing as a stupid question. I then handed her an outline for some weekly testing we had to do. At one point, she pointed to an instruction that stated how to save the program image to tape and how to save it to disk

"What's the difference between a tape and a disk?"

Oh brother! :knock:

lol, that's funny. makes you think maybe thats why she was demoted?:)lol, maybe she forgot a disk is round and a tape is square?i hope she got that straightened all out.

First, it wasn't a demotion, rather, she was in admin support and her position eliminated in a re-organization. it's more like she got re-assigned.

Although they say there's not a stupid question, there is a low water mark of basic intelligence. You can't work in an office envionment using computers and not know the difference between a tape and a disk. That' sjust common knowledge. Now, a "chassis" is a different matter because that's not a common word office or home users use to describe their PC tower case. But I'm sure you know what a tape and disk are!

i think anyone can tell you the diffrence, there's the obvious one, of course for one. maybe she was suffering from a bad day ,or didn't get enough sleep Einstien needed 10 hours of sleep just to function well, and have all his mem. or... it could just be a lack of common sense.x)

i was looking up something, when i came across a generic driver configuration.you think this might help me in any way? here's the site that i copied + used paste:eek:sr507doc.sco.com/en/VidConfigG/XvidD.svga_vesa.html i'm asking, because i'm not so sure.

to find out what graphics you have try right clicking on the my computer icon and pressing properties. then under the hardware tab click on device manager. when it pops up see what it says under Display Adapters then at last we should know what you have :)

Yes, from several posts up, it seems that your videocard drivers are not installed. If you do what Daveskater says, and tell us the model, we can provide links to the appropriate drivers. :)

Download the drivers from here and install. Reboot the PC when it tells you to and you're done. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The Sims probably won't work with your card, since it's a FireGL card that's not meant for use with games. To check if the drivers are installed, check Device Manager (right-click My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager) and see if there's any yellow exclamation mark next to the entry under Display Adapters. There should be none, which indicates that the drivers have installed properly. In that case, the only thing you can do is get another video card. :(

wait, the thing is it does have an exclamation point. how can i fix that so i can see if i even need another video card. one more thing, if i bought another videocard, which one do you recomend? and how do i install it? i went back to my device manager and it says this when i clicked on the exclamation point:this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.[code 12] if you want to use this device you will need to disable the other devices on this system. the thing is i don't know how to do that. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back