Disable auto-restart after BSOD from RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hi all, been a while.

So I'm working on a friend's PC and I have limited tools where I am. But I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off automatic restart after a BSOD while in Recovery Console. I've already tested the hard drive and removed any unneeded hardware from the box. It will not even try to go in to any mode of XP startup, just restarts. But this last time I thought I caught a small glimpse of a blue flash, but can't be sure.
I suspect a BSOD but I can't figure out how to disable auto restart from RC.

Ideas?

i think you can do it by bringing up the menu that also gets you into safe mode (press F8 after POST/before windows loading logo) and i think there's an option for it on there

if you do it that way though you have to have a successful shutdown after turning the option on otherwise it doesn't save the setting for next time the pc boots

The startup menu doesn't give the option to disable it, but I've seen that before, I know what you're talking about. I don't think I can force that option to show up. It only has safe, safe and net, safe and command, and normal

Hi, any more ideas?

I made a CD of Bart PE to boot from, it has a registry editor and from there I can change the reboot policy.
For anybody who knows Bart, it uses raw XP boot files to build it's core booting functions and so on. I tried to run this, and even IT didn't work! As soon as it tried to load the environment, it restarted or locked up the PC.

I don't know if that is because it is using Windows boot files, or some other thing. But it doesn't work either.

So I guess next I could look for a Linux boot CD with an XP registry editor and try that. This would rule out the XP files theory. Unless anybody has any other ideas? I suspect malfunctioning hard drive, or just a really screwed up OS install. Note that when the customer had this PC at home, it would actually boot into Windows, but as soon as they touched the keyboard or mouse, it locked up. When I took it to the office, it wouldn't even do that, it just restarts itself, or locks up without ever showing the boot screen or Welcome screen.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back