TechSpot

Disable Critical Battery ShutDown

By systemFailure
Jun 17, 2004
  1. Okay let's see, I have a Compaq Presario Notebook, 2175US the problem is I need to disable the feature that shuts down the computer when the battery is low. I have gone to compaq tech support and they told me to switch the power scheme to always on but that's not helping. I used to be able to do it but now I dont know why after the last time I quick restored it, now it wont help.

I tried turning the alarms off, I tried putting the alarms on and put NONE under the "When Alarm goes off take this action: "

I dont know what else to do, I'm trying to do this because I think my battery has memory again. I used to use the battery in 0% for about a half an hour or something, I want to do the total drain of the battery again because again its lasting about 15 minutes and after I did it the last time it lasted about 2 hours.

If you need any more details contact me

Thanks everyone

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,627   +321

I think technically laptop batteries aren't supposed to get memory, but I've always been a bit fuzzy on any rechargables other than NiCads and I know a fair amount about them from my days driving RC Cars.
    What you could do if you don't get an answer on how to do it from within Windows is: remove the battery find out its voltage and go to a local shop and get at or a little higher voltage light bulb and wire the battery to that light bulb, it will fully discharge the battery in a safe manner that way.

3. systemFailure

systemFailure TS Rookie Topic Starter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.