Disabled Australian starts petition to kill CAPTCHA

By Scorpus
Aug 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. CAPTCHA tests have been annoying many internet users for some time now, but one disabled Australian has finally had enough, starting a petition to encourage major companies to get rid of the tests. Wayne Hawkins is a blind resident of...

Read more
  2. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 122   +10

The sad truth is that the only thing Captcha has proven 100% successful in doing is frustrating people. Spam bots have found ways around them. I understand the reason for wanting something like this, from an administrative standpoint, but this petition was inevitable and I stand behind it.
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 477   +117

Yeah...... unless there is a decent way to replace this, I don't see the point.
    I might not like them, but:
    -A simple math equation is easily circumvented, if it can be read by software. If not, it is still as bad as the CAPTCHA's. It would need to be unreadable to software, and not fully understandable by software.
    -Sounds are (yet again) preventing access to other disabled people (the deaf). It's amusing he mentioned that one...

The trivia is probably the best choice (if it can be implemented properly) and even then it's a bit iffy. Even if it can be read by software, no simple algorithm should be able to decipher it (unless it's multiple-choice). However, that means that the questions have to be simple (since it is quite a bit more complex than reading letters or numbers).
    NimbusTLD likes this.
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 781   +85

I swear sometimes I put exactly what it says and it says incorrect.
  5. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Newcomer, in training Posts: 20

Nah, you just don't pass the Turing Test.

Seriously though, what alternatives are there out there? The ones which require you to assemble a jigsaw puzzle is the only viable alternative I've come across, which won't work any better for people with disabilities.
  6. I dont hate captchas that much, BUT THAT PARTICULAR ONE ON THE PICTURE I HATE WITH ALL MY HEART
    most captchas just skew a word like "Blue moon" slightly and you can easily read it, no biggie
    but that piece of garbage insist on distort them in the worst way possible and uses stuff like "blue smorgasboardtronic" or "yellos, marinetistickinexia" stupid stuff that I cant even read, I usually have to refresh it 2-3 times to get a couple words I can actually read
  7. General Sam

General Sam TechSpot Member Posts: 26

I used a picture captcha where you had to jigsaw the pieces together, this was easy and fun. Not sure how effective it was, but it did involve rotating pieces.

But yes this should be banned!
  8. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,222   +314

I don't get it - there's a sound icon to use for captcha (and other similar bot killers) in case you're disabled and can't read them. Why isn't this guy using that option?
  9. mrt8062

mrt8062 Newcomer, in training

if you ever try to use it, it is very terrible and sucks honestly
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,487   +73

To stop those bots an etc.. But just got out of hand though.
  11. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875   +93

Just annoying for no reason if they can be circumvented by bots, some of them are just impossible to read. Would be nice too see them eliminated.
  12. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,081   +718

I hate Captchas. I really think they need evidence proving that it is not effective before they can petition.
  13. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Dear god!

I just went to /v/ on 4chan (The only place I could remember that had CAPTCHA brand CAPTCHA) to use the audio prompt and, for the love of all things holy, the audio is horrible!

With that being said, CAPTCHA does far more good than harm so it stays...

14. Before I post my comment, I must say how ironic it was posting a comment as a guest, and a using Solve Media verification, lol.

Aside from that, I thought Captchas were wobbly like that because that was where the book was folded when scanned by a copier and we are helping to fix up books with mispelllings?

I hate them, I wish there was a better way.
  15. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,190   +555

Cool. No facts or data to show, no alternatives presented. Just a "waa waa, I can't do it, get rid of it!" with no knowledge of why it even exists. If you use things like:

"I?m constantly frustrated.."
    "It is time to kill CAPTCHA once and for all."

..Your argument is invalid.
  16. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +30

You're talking about a different version of CAPTCHA called reCAPTCHA. I understand the frustration with some of the captchas but unitl there is a better alternative, it stays. I just tried the audio alternative of reCAPTCHA and after failing a few of them I got the hang of what is being said and starting figuring them out consistently without a problem. I know they can be annoying but usually after a couple of tries it's all good.
  17. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 781   +85

I like the Megaupload captcha thingie. One time I only had to type in KFC. Good day for humanity
  18. t3chn3rd

t3chn3rd Newcomer, in training

Lord Inglip will not be pleased...
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  19. Im bot and I passed it
  20. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,190   +555

Omg lol I completely forgot about Lord Inglip! :D
  21. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 181   +9

Also, the captcha sound is kinda spooky.. it is what I think schizophrenics hear.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.