disabling Intel Integrated graphics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronautica

I recently got a new comp from Gateway; Intel P4 processor running Windows XP; the graphics controller is the 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV integrated piece. I would like to disable this ASAP in favor of a real graphics card; I have heard that on most motherboards with integrated graphics it is neccessary to disable the contoller manually through some sort of switch/jumper (in addition to disabling the driver). Can someone tell me where/how to locate this switch...I can't seem to find anything of the sort.....

some have a jumper, some are done in the BIOS. You can most likely contact Gateway and ask them and they will tell you, or consult the documentation that came with your PC.

ohh...yes, I had checked both the BIOS and the device manager, and both of them had ways for me to disable the integrated video, so I guess that is all that is required. I wasn't sure if this was all that was needed or if some physical change - dip switch- was needed; this would explain the difficulty I had in locating some switch on the motherboard - there must not be one :) Thanks for the help................on a totally different subject, where might I find insturctions for installing a second CD/DVD drive as a slave?

Instructions for installing a second CD/DVD Drive? Hmm..IMHO not alot of manuals provide this instruction unless they are rewritable drives. Anyhow installing a second CD/DVD drive as a slave is pretty easy.

1. Ensure that the drive you are about to install has its jumper (black or white plastic thing) set to slave. Please take note that in some drives "C", "M" and "S" are Cable select, master and slave respectively. Others "CS", "MA" and "SL" are cable select, master and slave respectively.

2. Ensure that the current druve has its jumper set to master.

3. Connect the IDE ribbon cables the CD/DVD Rom. Check the cables again to ensure that there are firmly attached to the CD-/ DVD Rom drive.

4. Connect the molex connectors(white plastic plugs from the PSU) to the drives.

5. Cover up you case. Switch on your pc. The BIOS should be able to display the newly installed drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back