Disabling onboard system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI on my computer. When I opened up my case, I saw "ATI Rage Pro Turbo" written on a chip in the motherboard (integrated, I'm guessing?).

I have heard that you need to disable the onboard system through BIOS before installing the new card, but when I checked there was nothing there (Anyone know under what heading I should check again?). Someone suggested I disable it through device manager, but I didn't find anything there either. And the thing is, there is no documentation with my motherboard and I can't get it anywhere else because my computer is quite old.

Can I just remove the ATI Rage Pro Turbo from the Primary Display Driver and install the Voodoo?

Welcome to TechSpot forums

There might be a jumper or a dip-switch onboard that disables onboard graphics. If not, I guess it doesn't hurt if you just try installing the Voodoo card anyway?

Most systems allow you to plug in your new video card without having to change jumpers or dip switches.

Try installing the card first and plug your monitor into the new card. It should work.

If it does not, then you can assume there is a jumper or a switch that needs to be changed. You can refer to your manual or online documentation.

Can you get any details on your motherboard like brand and part or model numbers, if you can that would greatly help us, help you. Its more than likely you have to go into your BIOS and disable the onboard Rage Pro there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back